Jul 29, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings of recent years have never been a team to go crazy with enforcers and turn the rink into a boxing ring. After all, the days of the Bruise Brothers are long gone. One player that in recent years got a short run with the Red Wings in that role was Aaron Downey. Downey was out of hockey completely last year but things may change for him now. Mlive.com’s Ansar Khan reports that Downey will be getting a tryout with the Red Wings this year.
Downey is expected to attend Detroit Red Wings training camp on a tryout. It’s not official yet, but should be confirmed in the next couple of days.
Downey, who turns 36 on Aug. 27, played in 56 games for the Red Wings in 2007-08, after earning a one-year contract following a training camp tryout. He had no goals and three assists and racked up 116 penalty minutes, providing some much-needed toughness by sticking up for teammates who were getting run at by opponents.
Downey comes from a long line of affable but tough enforcers. Even after parting ways with Detroit, Downey was very well liked by Red Wings teammates. Downey’s main role in hockey is to play the part of peacekeeper but keeping a steady job in the NHL has been tough for him. Through his nine NHL seasons, Downey has played in just 243 games and scored just 18 points while piling up 494 penalty minutes.
Honest assessment: It’ll be stunning if he lands a job with the Red Wings. If he does want to play and makes the grade well enough, the Wings will likely make room for him in Grand Rapids in the AHL if he wants to go there.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 10
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 35
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)