Jul 29, 2010, 7:30 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman recently held a press conference regarding the Antti Niemi arbitration hearing, although the team is waiting for answers just like the rest of the hockey world. The reason for that is simple: the arbitrator has a 48-hour window to assess Niemi’s value and may indeed take until Saturday to make such a decision.
That being said, it’s interesting to hear Bowman and other people in official situations confirm a lot of the simple discussions that have been going on for weeks regarding Niemi. One thing they confirmed that is fairly obvious: the team can go in three directions with Niemi; they can accept the ruling, walk away from it or trade the goalie.
While I haven’t seen a full story on the press conference anywhere, here are a few comments from Bowman via the team’s Twitter page and various journalists.
Bowman: Decision will obviously be made based on what number is. Club has strategies mapped out on how it might go, but won’t speculate. (Link)
(Note: I corrected a bit of the next Tweet for clarity’s sake)
Bowman: In terms of free agent [goalie]s, [there] are a lot on the market… If have to go down that road, will be prepared. Team in October will be ready. (Link)
Moving along, here are a few more bits from journalists on Twitter.
First, James Mirtle:
Bowman says there weren’t a lot of comparables to Niemi given his lack of experience and accomplishments. I’m not surprised. (Link)
Mirtle speculates a bit on a possible “Plan B” goalie:
Bowman a bit elusive on their interest in Turco. I imagine that’s who they go to if they pass on Niemi. (Link)
Chris Kuc provides a few other details:
#Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman on Antti Niemi situation regarding cap: “We’re confident that we’re going to make it work for us.” (Link)
Adam Jahns shares what might be a “time line” for the decision.
Bowman said that he has spoken with Huet’s agent, but the issue of Huet’s future with the #Blackhawks will be addressed in August. (Link)
Essentially Bowman hasn’t told us anything that hasn’t already been speculated about regarding Niemi.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)