Jul 29, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
Today seems to be an interesting one for video game news (I’ll provide some “NHL 11″ related nuggets later) for whatever reason. For those Wii-only owners who have been chomping at the bit for
Wow, Wayne Gretzky looks so young in that photo. Boyish, even. Could it be the magic of Photoshop or the “Oil of Olay”-like effect of not being an NHL head coach anymore?
Either way, putting “The Great One” on the cover is a great way to attract a wider audience, which makes sense since the Wii is a system owned by a wide array of people. Everyone from Nintendo devotees/dorks to college girls to grandmas can enjoy the simplicity of the system’s control scheme, so planting the sport’s most recognizable figure on the cover is a wise choice.
The cover also features the game’s mini-hockey stick controller, which might be the most intriguing thing about “NHL Slap Shot.” Every time I’ve tried to play the other NHL-licensed Wii game (2K Sports’ “NHL 2K” series), it’s been a flailing failure. If EA nails the stick peripheral, it could be a real hit among video game loving hockey fans.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 24
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)