Jul 29, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
Today seems to be an interesting one for video game news (I’ll provide some “NHL 11″ related nuggets later) for whatever reason. For those Wii-only owners who have been chomping at the bit for
Wow, Wayne Gretzky looks so young in that photo. Boyish, even. Could it be the magic of Photoshop or the “Oil of Olay”-like effect of not being an NHL head coach anymore?
Either way, putting “The Great One” on the cover is a great way to attract a wider audience, which makes sense since the Wii is a system owned by a wide array of people. Everyone from Nintendo devotees/dorks to college girls to grandmas can enjoy the simplicity of the system’s control scheme, so planting the sport’s most recognizable figure on the cover is a wise choice.
The cover also features the game’s mini-hockey stick controller, which might be the most intriguing thing about “NHL Slap Shot.” Every time I’ve tried to play the other NHL-licensed Wii game (2K Sports’ “NHL 2K” series), it’s been a flailing failure. If EA nails the stick peripheral, it could be a real hit among video game loving hockey fans.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 2
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 16
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)