Jul 29, 2010, 10:20 PM EST
Today seems to be an interesting one for video game news (I’ll provide some “NHL 11″ related nuggets later) for whatever reason. For those Wii-only owners who have been chomping at the bit for
Wow, Wayne Gretzky looks so young in that photo. Boyish, even. Could it be the magic of Photoshop or the “Oil of Olay”-like effect of not being an NHL head coach anymore?
Either way, putting “The Great One” on the cover is a great way to attract a wider audience, which makes sense since the Wii is a system owned by a wide array of people. Everyone from Nintendo devotees/dorks to college girls to grandmas can enjoy the simplicity of the system’s control scheme, so planting the sport’s most recognizable figure on the cover is a wise choice.
The cover also features the game’s mini-hockey stick controller, which might be the most intriguing thing about “NHL Slap Shot.” Every time I’ve tried to play the other NHL-licensed Wii game (2K Sports’ “NHL 2K” series), it’s been a flailing failure. If EA nails the stick peripheral, it could be a real hit among video game loving hockey fans.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)