Jul 29, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators have locked down one of their emerging stars today and avoided arbitration in the process. Playoff and World Championships superstar Peter Regin signed a two-year deal with the Sens today to help shore up their scoring ability.
Regin was a little-known player before last year’s playoff series against the Pittsburgh Penguins when he scored three goals and had one assist in the six game losing effort. Regin also made his mark in the 2010 IIHF World Championships with Denmark scoring two goals and five assists in the Danes seven games of the tournament. Regular season-wise, Regin scored 13 goals and 16 assists in this his first full season of action in the NHL. A small sum for sure, but one he appears poised to build on this season.
As expected, both sides of this deal are happy to get something done before it was time to duck into court to settle things in arbitration. Both Sens GM Bryan Murray and Regin had typically happy things to say about avoiding going to a hearing and working things out like grown-ups.
Once the financial terms are released on the deal, we’ll update this post to let you know.
Update: Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun tweets: “Regin signed for 950,000 next season and $1,050,000 in 2011-12.”
That works out to be a cap hit of a even $1 million a year for the next two years. That’s a deal that works out to be more than fair.
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 16
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10