Jul 29, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have locked down one of their emerging stars today and avoided arbitration in the process. Playoff and World Championships superstar Peter Regin signed a two-year deal with the Sens today to help shore up their scoring ability.
Regin was a little-known player before last year’s playoff series against the Pittsburgh Penguins when he scored three goals and had one assist in the six game losing effort. Regin also made his mark in the 2010 IIHF World Championships with Denmark scoring two goals and five assists in the Danes seven games of the tournament. Regular season-wise, Regin scored 13 goals and 16 assists in this his first full season of action in the NHL. A small sum for sure, but one he appears poised to build on this season.
As expected, both sides of this deal are happy to get something done before it was time to duck into court to settle things in arbitration. Both Sens GM Bryan Murray and Regin had typically happy things to say about avoiding going to a hearing and working things out like grown-ups.
Once the financial terms are released on the deal, we’ll update this post to let you know.
Update: Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun tweets: “Regin signed for 950,000 next season and $1,050,000 in 2011-12.”
That works out to be a cap hit of a even $1 million a year for the next two years. That’s a deal that works out to be more than fair.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)