Jul 29, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators have locked down one of their emerging stars today and avoided arbitration in the process. Playoff and World Championships superstar Peter Regin signed a two-year deal with the Sens today to help shore up their scoring ability.
Regin was a little-known player before last year’s playoff series against the Pittsburgh Penguins when he scored three goals and had one assist in the six game losing effort. Regin also made his mark in the 2010 IIHF World Championships with Denmark scoring two goals and five assists in the Danes seven games of the tournament. Regular season-wise, Regin scored 13 goals and 16 assists in this his first full season of action in the NHL. A small sum for sure, but one he appears poised to build on this season.
As expected, both sides of this deal are happy to get something done before it was time to duck into court to settle things in arbitration. Both Sens GM Bryan Murray and Regin had typically happy things to say about avoiding going to a hearing and working things out like grown-ups.
Once the financial terms are released on the deal, we’ll update this post to let you know.
Update: Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun tweets: “Regin signed for 950,000 next season and $1,050,000 in 2011-12.”
That works out to be a cap hit of a even $1 million a year for the next two years. That’s a deal that works out to be more than fair.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires