Jul 29, 2010, 11:48 AM EDT
The Lightning continued their busy summer by helping to fill out ranks along the blueline by re-signing Vladimir Mihalik and signing Mathieu Roy and Mike Vernace.
Mihalik is a big boy standing at 6’7″ and 244 pounds, but is a smooth skating offensive defenseman. He’s had a little bit of time with the big club in Tampa Bay, but he’s spent the majority of his career with the Lightning AHL affiliate in Norfolk. Mihalik could challenge for a spot on the bottom pair this season and the chances are good that Lightning coach Guy Boucher saw him play a bit while coaching in the AHL last season. Competition for that
Mathieu Roy was with the Columbus Blue Jackets last season and played in 31 games for them last year setting a new career high in games played. I’ll give you two guesses as to where his destination is set for next season and the first one doesn’t count. Roy will help provide stability and depth within the Lightning system.
Michael Vernace comes to the Lightning from the Hamilton Bulldogs and it’s safe to say that he’s a player that Guy Boucher likes just fine and trusts to get more work in Norfolk with the Admirals. Chances that all three of these guys end up in Norfolk to start the season run pretty high, but retaining Mihalik is a good thing for the Lightning as he’s got the most upside of the bunch.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)