Jul 28, 2010, 12:15 AM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Coyotes re-sign Alexandre Pickard – Must … resist … Star Trek … joke.
What about the rest of the free agents? – They’re sad pandas, I’d guess.
Islanders re-sign Matt Moulson – He’s definitely one of the players to watch next season.
GM Brian Burke doesn’t like Kovalchuk-type contracts – Then again, who exactly would he sign to that type of deal?
Rangers sign Alexander Frolov – No reason to throw a parade about this move, but it’s a low-risk move that could produce major dividends.
Penguins public address announcer John Barbero dies at age 65 – Sadly, on the same day Crosby and Lemieux skated on the new Consol ice for the first time.
Kings sign Alex Ponikarovsky – Not exactly the Russian winger the Kings were looking for …
Oilers sign Gilbert Brule – Good job by both sides to avoid arbitration.
Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby become the first to skate on the Consol Energy Center ice – Word is that the seats are close to the ice. Interesting.
Wheeler’s arbitration hearing was “professional” … how much is he worth?: Blake Wheeler could be a big problem for Boston.
Capitals, Tomas Fleischmann avoid arbitration – Seems like a reasonable deal, at least when you consider the funny money being thrown around.
Caps, Pens might turn to Aucoin, Sterling – The teams might go with AHL players thanks to salary cap concerns.
Refs seem to call less penalties in the third period, who are the biggest offenders?: Intriguing stuff about NHL zebras, I’d say.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 28
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 41
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 29
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 59
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6