Jul 28, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Few TV programs leave audiences enraptured like AMC’s “Mad Men” does. While the misogyny makes many squirm, there’s little doubt that the smoky, boozy period piece provides some of the most artful and gripping television around.
As if playing Don Draper wasn’t enough, star Jon Hamm is also awesome because he’s a hockey fan. Specifically, he’s a St. Louis Blues fan, as you can see from this advertisement.
OK, we’ve established that both “Mad Men” and Jon Hamm are awesome. So, why, exactly would someone pass on hockey being involved with the seminal TV show? I don’t know, but the Los Angeles Times shares the fact that a rights holder denied show creator/”Sopranos” executive Matt Weiner the chance to have hockey playing in the background of the latest season premiere of the show.
It’s not that the producers didn’t know there wasn’t a night football game for Don to be watching. It’s that they couldn’t get the rights to the hockey game they wanted Don to be watching. Sunday’s episode took place on Saturday, Nov. 28, 1964. That night, the New York Rangers beat the Toronto Maple Leafs, 4-1.
Unfortunately, “Mad Men” was unable to secure any rights for audio or video of that game. The producers wanted some background noise from the television and instead went with audio of a football game. The audio was not supposed to be discernible, but obsessed viewers (like this one) could pick up the play-by-play of a football game.
I hate to say it, but this is one of those classic “little things” that never seem to work out for hockey. Sure, the NHL (and the sport in general) is enjoying some positive momentum but why not embrace any moment to celebrate the game? It’s obviously not something that would have made millions of new hockey fans, but it doesn’t explain why you’d reject the chance to be a part of an intensely popular and respected TV show.
Oh well, that’s hockey for you.
(H/T to Puck Daddy)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)