Jul 28, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
In a move that raised some eyebrows this morning, Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that former Nashville Predators (and Edmonton Oilers) defenseman Denis Grebeshkov signed a two-year deal with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.
While the 26-year-old blueliner’s 21 points in 09-10 might not “wow” people, he’s a very effective player when he’s healthy (he only played in 51 games as a member of the Predators and Oilers last season). He put up a career-high 39 points in 08-09 and has a solid reputation as a player who “plays bigger” than his average frame would suggest.
As a former first round pick (drafted No. 18 in 2002 by the LA Kings), it’s a bit surprising that the Russian defenseman couldn’t find work in the NHL. I can’t see why a team like the Dallas Stars (or even the one he skated with briefly in Nashville) wouldn’t want to take a shot at him.
Of course, I guess there’s always the possibility that Grebeshkov simply wanted to play closer to home in the KHL.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)