Jul 28, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
In a move that raised some eyebrows this morning, Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that former Nashville Predators (and Edmonton Oilers) defenseman Denis Grebeshkov signed a two-year deal with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.
While the 26-year-old blueliner’s 21 points in 09-10 might not “wow” people, he’s a very effective player when he’s healthy (he only played in 51 games as a member of the Predators and Oilers last season). He put up a career-high 39 points in 08-09 and has a solid reputation as a player who “plays bigger” than his average frame would suggest.
As a former first round pick (drafted No. 18 in 2002 by the LA Kings), it’s a bit surprising that the Russian defenseman couldn’t find work in the NHL. I can’t see why a team like the Dallas Stars (or even the one he skated with briefly in Nashville) wouldn’t want to take a shot at him.
Of course, I guess there’s always the possibility that Grebeshkov simply wanted to play closer to home in the KHL.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)