Jul 28, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
In a move that raised some eyebrows this morning, Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that former Nashville Predators (and Edmonton Oilers) defenseman Denis Grebeshkov signed a two-year deal with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.
While the 26-year-old blueliner’s 21 points in 09-10 might not “wow” people, he’s a very effective player when he’s healthy (he only played in 51 games as a member of the Predators and Oilers last season). He put up a career-high 39 points in 08-09 and has a solid reputation as a player who “plays bigger” than his average frame would suggest.
As a former first round pick (drafted No. 18 in 2002 by the LA Kings), it’s a bit surprising that the Russian defenseman couldn’t find work in the NHL. I can’t see why a team like the Dallas Stars (or even the one he skated with briefly in Nashville) wouldn’t want to take a shot at him.
Of course, I guess there’s always the possibility that Grebeshkov simply wanted to play closer to home in the KHL.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 15
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)