Jul 28, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Watching Ice Edge Holdings and certain members of the Canadian media trade barbs back and forth is about as tedious as sitting through an 11-hour tennis match. At some point you just want to see some resolution.
Ice Edge is adamant that they’re making progress toward completing their attempted purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes, despite yesterday’s reports of doom and gloom. The group hoping to land the Coyotes said so in an e-mail excerpted by the Globe and Mail, but this part of the newspaper’s story provides the most pertinent details.
Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni told the Arizona Republic that Ice Edge had not provided all the required documents. Therefore, the exclusivity deal was dead. She told the Free Press on Tuesday the city was not commenting except to say the Republic story was “accurate.”
However, Frisoni was uncertain whether the two sides have to complete the talks by Aug. 6. That deadline, mentioned in the Republic story, was when the exclusivity deal ran out, but not necessarily the time to negotiate.
To make a lazy metaphor, the sky isn’t falling yet but you’d be delusional to ignore the dark clouds forming.
This situation must really wear down Coyotes fans (and fans of hockey, in general) but the tedium doesn’t change the fact that it’s an important story for the league and the sport itself. We’ll keep you informed as the Coyotes try to travel a pot hole-filled road to sustainability.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)