Jul 28, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Watching Ice Edge Holdings and certain members of the Canadian media trade barbs back and forth is about as tedious as sitting through an 11-hour tennis match. At some point you just want to see some resolution.
Ice Edge is adamant that they’re making progress toward completing their attempted purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes, despite yesterday’s reports of doom and gloom. The group hoping to land the Coyotes said so in an e-mail excerpted by the Globe and Mail, but this part of the newspaper’s story provides the most pertinent details.
Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni told the Arizona Republic that Ice Edge had not provided all the required documents. Therefore, the exclusivity deal was dead. She told the Free Press on Tuesday the city was not commenting except to say the Republic story was “accurate.”
However, Frisoni was uncertain whether the two sides have to complete the talks by Aug. 6. That deadline, mentioned in the Republic story, was when the exclusivity deal ran out, but not necessarily the time to negotiate.
To make a lazy metaphor, the sky isn’t falling yet but you’d be delusional to ignore the dark clouds forming.
This situation must really wear down Coyotes fans (and fans of hockey, in general) but the tedium doesn’t change the fact that it’s an important story for the league and the sport itself. We’ll keep you informed as the Coyotes try to travel a pot hole-filled road to sustainability.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)