Jul 28, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Watching Ice Edge Holdings and certain members of the Canadian media trade barbs back and forth is about as tedious as sitting through an 11-hour tennis match. At some point you just want to see some resolution.
Ice Edge is adamant that they’re making progress toward completing their attempted purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes, despite yesterday’s reports of doom and gloom. The group hoping to land the Coyotes said so in an e-mail excerpted by the Globe and Mail, but this part of the newspaper’s story provides the most pertinent details.
Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni told the Arizona Republic that Ice Edge had not provided all the required documents. Therefore, the exclusivity deal was dead. She told the Free Press on Tuesday the city was not commenting except to say the Republic story was “accurate.”
However, Frisoni was uncertain whether the two sides have to complete the talks by Aug. 6. That deadline, mentioned in the Republic story, was when the exclusivity deal ran out, but not necessarily the time to negotiate.
To make a lazy metaphor, the sky isn’t falling yet but you’d be delusional to ignore the dark clouds forming.
This situation must really wear down Coyotes fans (and fans of hockey, in general) but the tedium doesn’t change the fact that it’s an important story for the league and the sport itself. We’ll keep you informed as the Coyotes try to travel a pot hole-filled road to sustainability.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 0
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 12
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins