Jul 28, 2010, 11:29 PM EDT
The summer of the Calgary Flames has been one of fan-infuriating intrigue and it appears that things will continue down that path with restricted free agent defenseman Ian White. Flames Insider has the scoop on what’s going on in Calgary.
So, the Columbus Blue Jackets avoided arbitration with Anton Stralman and the Vancouver Canucks struck a last-minute deal with Mason Raymond. Don’t expect a similar story when it comes to defenceman Ian White and the Calgary Flames.
White’s arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday morning in Toronto and the arduous negotiation that went on with Columbus and Stralman is a great comparison to make. Both sides in that situation made it seem like it was destined to be settled in a courtroom, yet both sides managed to suck it up and get a deal done before heading in for their hearing.
As for White, his case should be pretty strong. All told he had 38 points last year playing with Toronto and Calgary and managed to be a +8 with two teams that were pretty tough to watch last season while logging serious minutes, averaging more than 22 minutes per game. Getting a substantial raise one way or another should be in White’s future.
Besides, you should have to pay up for a guy who once had a mustache so impressive it has its own Facebook fan page.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 10
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 66
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 26
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (103)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)