Jul 28, 2010, 11:29 PM EDT
The summer of the Calgary Flames has been one of fan-infuriating intrigue and it appears that things will continue down that path with restricted free agent defenseman Ian White. Flames Insider has the scoop on what’s going on in Calgary.
So, the Columbus Blue Jackets avoided arbitration with Anton Stralman and the Vancouver Canucks struck a last-minute deal with Mason Raymond. Don’t expect a similar story when it comes to defenceman Ian White and the Calgary Flames.
White’s arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday morning in Toronto and the arduous negotiation that went on with Columbus and Stralman is a great comparison to make. Both sides in that situation made it seem like it was destined to be settled in a courtroom, yet both sides managed to suck it up and get a deal done before heading in for their hearing.
As for White, his case should be pretty strong. All told he had 38 points last year playing with Toronto and Calgary and managed to be a +8 with two teams that were pretty tough to watch last season while logging serious minutes, averaging more than 22 minutes per game. Getting a substantial raise one way or another should be in White’s future.
Besides, you should have to pay up for a guy who once had a mustache so impressive it has its own Facebook fan page.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (88)