Jul 28, 2010, 11:29 PM EDT
The summer of the Calgary Flames has been one of fan-infuriating intrigue and it appears that things will continue down that path with restricted free agent defenseman Ian White. Flames Insider has the scoop on what’s going on in Calgary.
So, the Columbus Blue Jackets avoided arbitration with Anton Stralman and the Vancouver Canucks struck a last-minute deal with Mason Raymond. Don’t expect a similar story when it comes to defenceman Ian White and the Calgary Flames.
White’s arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday morning in Toronto and the arduous negotiation that went on with Columbus and Stralman is a great comparison to make. Both sides in that situation made it seem like it was destined to be settled in a courtroom, yet both sides managed to suck it up and get a deal done before heading in for their hearing.
As for White, his case should be pretty strong. All told he had 38 points last year playing with Toronto and Calgary and managed to be a +8 with two teams that were pretty tough to watch last season while logging serious minutes, averaging more than 22 minutes per game. Getting a substantial raise one way or another should be in White’s future.
Besides, you should have to pay up for a guy who once had a mustache so impressive it has its own Facebook fan page.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)