Jul 28, 2010, 11:29 PM EDT
The summer of the Calgary Flames has been one of fan-infuriating intrigue and it appears that things will continue down that path with restricted free agent defenseman Ian White. Flames Insider has the scoop on what’s going on in Calgary.
So, the Columbus Blue Jackets avoided arbitration with Anton Stralman and the Vancouver Canucks struck a last-minute deal with Mason Raymond. Don’t expect a similar story when it comes to defenceman Ian White and the Calgary Flames.
White’s arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday morning in Toronto and the arduous negotiation that went on with Columbus and Stralman is a great comparison to make. Both sides in that situation made it seem like it was destined to be settled in a courtroom, yet both sides managed to suck it up and get a deal done before heading in for their hearing.
As for White, his case should be pretty strong. All told he had 38 points last year playing with Toronto and Calgary and managed to be a +8 with two teams that were pretty tough to watch last season while logging serious minutes, averaging more than 22 minutes per game. Getting a substantial raise one way or another should be in White’s future.
Besides, you should have to pay up for a guy who once had a mustache so impressive it has its own Facebook fan page.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 4
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28