Jul 28, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
When it comes down to it, we sometimes lose track of the real reasons a player chooses a destination – new or old. It would be great if the Stanley Cup was 90 percent of the reason, but other factors include whether that player is single or married, travel concerns, weather and plenty of other variables.
So perhaps it’s reasonable that Don Brennan from the Ottawa Sun wondered if Mike Fisher – aka Mr. Carrie Underwood – might consider moving to Nashville to be closer to his main squeeze. The productive two-way center says he won’t be leaving the Ottawa Senators anytime soon, though.
“I definitely love it here. I don’t see that happening,” the Senators centre said in an exclusive interview with the Sun – when asked about any desire of finishing his career as a Predator – a little more than two weeks after being wed to country singing superstar Carrie Underwood.
“When I’m done hockey, she’ll still be working. I’m sure she can always work. We’ll settle in Nashville. I love it there. I’ve got lots of friends there now, I love the area. I like a lot of things about it. There’s a nice church that we love, that we go to … that being said, it’s a little ways away. I want to obviously play a few years, a bunch of years here yet.”
(Will Carrie Underwood still be successful in the Nashville country music scene 5-10 years from now? Shockingly, I’m not really qualified to break that one down so I’ll take Fisher’s word for it.)
Despite fitting the profile of the kind of player a coach like Barry Trotz might find useful, it sounds like “Mike Fisher, Nashville Predator” is a long shot.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)