Jul 28, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
When it comes down to it, we sometimes lose track of the real reasons a player chooses a destination – new or old. It would be great if the Stanley Cup was 90 percent of the reason, but other factors include whether that player is single or married, travel concerns, weather and plenty of other variables.
So perhaps it’s reasonable that Don Brennan from the Ottawa Sun wondered if Mike Fisher – aka Mr. Carrie Underwood – might consider moving to Nashville to be closer to his main squeeze. The productive two-way center says he won’t be leaving the Ottawa Senators anytime soon, though.
“I definitely love it here. I don’t see that happening,” the Senators centre said in an exclusive interview with the Sun – when asked about any desire of finishing his career as a Predator – a little more than two weeks after being wed to country singing superstar Carrie Underwood.
“When I’m done hockey, she’ll still be working. I’m sure she can always work. We’ll settle in Nashville. I love it there. I’ve got lots of friends there now, I love the area. I like a lot of things about it. There’s a nice church that we love, that we go to … that being said, it’s a little ways away. I want to obviously play a few years, a bunch of years here yet.”
(Will Carrie Underwood still be successful in the Nashville country music scene 5-10 years from now? Shockingly, I’m not really qualified to break that one down so I’ll take Fisher’s word for it.)
Despite fitting the profile of the kind of player a coach like Barry Trotz might find useful, it sounds like “Mike Fisher, Nashville Predator” is a long shot.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)