Jul 28, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
When it comes down to it, we sometimes lose track of the real reasons a player chooses a destination – new or old. It would be great if the Stanley Cup was 90 percent of the reason, but other factors include whether that player is single or married, travel concerns, weather and plenty of other variables.
So perhaps it’s reasonable that Don Brennan from the Ottawa Sun wondered if Mike Fisher – aka Mr. Carrie Underwood – might consider moving to Nashville to be closer to his main squeeze. The productive two-way center says he won’t be leaving the Ottawa Senators anytime soon, though.
“I definitely love it here. I don’t see that happening,” the Senators centre said in an exclusive interview with the Sun – when asked about any desire of finishing his career as a Predator – a little more than two weeks after being wed to country singing superstar Carrie Underwood.
“When I’m done hockey, she’ll still be working. I’m sure she can always work. We’ll settle in Nashville. I love it there. I’ve got lots of friends there now, I love the area. I like a lot of things about it. There’s a nice church that we love, that we go to … that being said, it’s a little ways away. I want to obviously play a few years, a bunch of years here yet.”
(Will Carrie Underwood still be successful in the Nashville country music scene 5-10 years from now? Shockingly, I’m not really qualified to break that one down so I’ll take Fisher’s word for it.)
Despite fitting the profile of the kind of player a coach like Barry Trotz might find useful, it sounds like “Mike Fisher, Nashville Predator” is a long shot.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)