Jul 28, 2010, 9:35 PM EST
Contrary to what was starting to become popular belief, it appears that the Bruins supposed interest in free agent right wing Bill Guerin was nothing more than fiction. Joe Haggerty at CSN Boston lets the fans in Beantown down easy just in case they got a bit too over-excited.
While a hockeybuzz.com report circulated on Tuesday that the Bruins could potentially have some interest in former winger Billy Guerin if other roster moves were made first, a Bruins source told CSNNE.com Wednesday there was no interest on their part in the 39-year-old free agent winger.
Chances are if there are any fans out there taking a report or a rumor from Hockey Buzz and running wild with them and letting their imaginations get the best of them, they’re the ones that will be most crushed by this news. As for everyone else, getting a rumor from there debunked is nothing new.
As for any thoughts that would’ve gone into why Guerin in Boston would’ve worked, you could shoot them down with a thousand reasons why they wouldn’t. Guerin’s first turn in Boston back from 2000-2002 ended rather suddenly after scoring 41 goals for the Bruins in 2001-2002, signing with the Stars after that season. Guerin also turns 40 in November and having two of your top wingers being elder statesmen (Mark Recchi is 42) can’t be a recipe for success.
Of course this isn’t to mention that the Bruins are already in a bit of a salary cap bind as they await the decision on Blake Wheeler’s arbitration case. Dumping another million or two on another player while they don’t know which way things will go with Wheeler and while they look to sign Tyler Seguin is a cap-relief trade waiting to be made. Getting older and throwing money around willy-nilly is the kind of thing the Rangers used to do before the salary cap era, mimicking that now could only be described as “perilous.”
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)