Jul 28, 2010, 9:35 PM EDT
Contrary to what was starting to become popular belief, it appears that the Bruins supposed interest in free agent right wing Bill Guerin was nothing more than fiction. Joe Haggerty at CSN Boston lets the fans in Beantown down easy just in case they got a bit too over-excited.
While a hockeybuzz.com report circulated on Tuesday that the Bruins could potentially have some interest in former winger Billy Guerin if other roster moves were made first, a Bruins source told CSNNE.com Wednesday there was no interest on their part in the 39-year-old free agent winger.
Chances are if there are any fans out there taking a report or a rumor from Hockey Buzz and running wild with them and letting their imaginations get the best of them, they’re the ones that will be most crushed by this news. As for everyone else, getting a rumor from there debunked is nothing new.
As for any thoughts that would’ve gone into why Guerin in Boston would’ve worked, you could shoot them down with a thousand reasons why they wouldn’t. Guerin’s first turn in Boston back from 2000-2002 ended rather suddenly after scoring 41 goals for the Bruins in 2001-2002, signing with the Stars after that season. Guerin also turns 40 in November and having two of your top wingers being elder statesmen (Mark Recchi is 42) can’t be a recipe for success.
Of course this isn’t to mention that the Bruins are already in a bit of a salary cap bind as they await the decision on Blake Wheeler’s arbitration case. Dumping another million or two on another player while they don’t know which way things will go with Wheeler and while they look to sign Tyler Seguin is a cap-relief trade waiting to be made. Getting older and throwing money around willy-nilly is the kind of thing the Rangers used to do before the salary cap era, mimicking that now could only be described as “perilous.”
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 6
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)