Jul 28, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
When we look back at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, it’s quite possible that the Anaheim Ducks will be heralded for getting a steal in 12th overall pick Cam Fowler. Many expected the offensively talented defenseman to go as early as No. 3 behind shoo-in forwards Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin but instead Fowler dropped to the Ducks.
The team announced that they signed their first round pick to a three-year entry-level contract, though financial details were not revealed. Here is more about Fowler’s impressive pre-NHL career.
Fowler, 18 (12/6/91), collected 8-47=55 points with a +38 rating and 14 penalty minutes (PIM) in 55 games with the Windsor Spitfires of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) in 2009-10. Fowler ranked seventh among OHL defensemen in scoring to help Windsor finish first in its conference during the regular season. The 6-1, 190-pound blueliner also added 3-11=14 points with 10 PIM in 19 OHL Playoff games, helping the Spitfires to their second consecutive OHL championship and second straight Memorial Cup as junior hockey champions.
As a member of Team USA, Fowler won a gold medal at both the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship and 2009 IIHF U-18 World Championship, where he was named the tournament’s top defenseman.
Defensemen usually take some time to develop (unless you’re a physical freak like Drew Doughty of the Los Angeles Kings), so I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes Fowler a while to make it to the NHL level. Don’t be surprised if Fowler ends up being the next franchise defenseman in Anaheim in the near future, though, especially since the team already moved on from Hall-of-Fame caliber cornerstones Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11