Jul 28, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
Scratch another potential arbitration hearing off the docket in Toronto. The Atlanta Thrashers have reached a contract agreement with one of the players they received in the Dustin Byfuglien trade in Ben Eager as TSN tells us.
Forward Ben Eager avoided arbitration on Wednesday, agreeing to a negotiated settlement on a one-year deal with the Atlanta Thrashers at $965,000.
The restricted free agent put up seven goals and nine assists with a plus- 16 rating over 60 games with the Blackhawks last season.
Perhaps the biggest part of Eager’s game is being a physically intimidating beast on the ice. Standing at 6’2″ 230 pounds, Eager’s last two seasons in the NHL Chicago saw him pile up the penalty minutes like an animal foraging for food for the winter. Last year saw Eager average a minor penalty per game locking down 120 PIMs in those 60 games. The year before he had 161 PIM in 75 games. All of that pales in comparison to what he did with the Flyers in 2006-2007 racking up a league-high 233 PIMs. That’s Zenon Konopka territory right there.
Of course, Eager has somewhat (and I say this hesitantly) mellowed out his game to be more of helpful physical presence on the ice, as was exhibited during the playoffs with the Blackhawks last season scoring one goal and adding two assists and just 20 PIMs in 18 playoff games. Eager likely takes the enforcer job away from from Eric Boulton in Atlanta.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22