Jul 28, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
Scratch another potential arbitration hearing off the docket in Toronto. The Atlanta Thrashers have reached a contract agreement with one of the players they received in the Dustin Byfuglien trade in Ben Eager as TSN tells us.
Forward Ben Eager avoided arbitration on Wednesday, agreeing to a negotiated settlement on a one-year deal with the Atlanta Thrashers at $965,000.
The restricted free agent put up seven goals and nine assists with a plus- 16 rating over 60 games with the Blackhawks last season.
Perhaps the biggest part of Eager’s game is being a physically intimidating beast on the ice. Standing at 6’2″ 230 pounds, Eager’s last two seasons in the NHL Chicago saw him pile up the penalty minutes like an animal foraging for food for the winter. Last year saw Eager average a minor penalty per game locking down 120 PIMs in those 60 games. The year before he had 161 PIM in 75 games. All of that pales in comparison to what he did with the Flyers in 2006-2007 racking up a league-high 233 PIMs. That’s Zenon Konopka territory right there.
Of course, Eager has somewhat (and I say this hesitantly) mellowed out his game to be more of helpful physical presence on the ice, as was exhibited during the playoffs with the Blackhawks last season scoring one goal and adding two assists and just 20 PIMs in 18 playoff games. Eager likely takes the enforcer job away from from Eric Boulton in Atlanta.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 9
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)