Jul 27, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
The NHL held their press conference to introduce the 2011 Winter Classic in Pittsburgh today, and part of the fun, as always, is seeing just what the iconic logos each team will be using for the game. While the Penguins have done this all before back in 2008, this is new territory for the Capitals. Tarik El-Bashir of Capitals Insider was on the scene today and
Pretty snazzy looking and the Penguins logo in particular is interesting because it was the teams mark for just one season in the NHL, their first one. Sadly, the skating penguin with a scarf wasn’t a huge hit right off the bat. That’s no fun at all. If you’re curious about what jerseys the teams might be wearing, Puck Daddy has already dipped into the possibilities and it’s worth a look. Expect that the Penguins will go with the same jerseys they wore in that inaugural season to match the logo. The Capitals don’t really have too many options to run with for a legendary throwback look.
Commissioner Gary Bettman spoke briefly and was obviously very excited at the prospect of having the league’s two biggest stars face each other on arguably the league’s biggest mid-season stage.
While the press conference itself is always a bit of a snoozer, with it taking place at Heinz Field it offered the players the chance to take shots at the uprights on the field. No, seriously. The Penguins’ Sidney Crosby, Max Talbot, and Pascal Dupuis as well as the Capitals’ Dave Steckel and Mike Knuble all had chances to fire pucks through the uprights at Heinz Field and appropriately enough, the further back they got the more impossible it became.
I didn’t think it would be possible for Sidney Crosby’s shot to look scary off the ice, but here we are and I think it might behoove the Steelers to at least ask Sid to try out for the kicking job. Or would it be hurling if he used a stick? Things to ponder for the time being at least. As you know, the Winter Classic will be on January 1, 2011 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh and will be live on NBC.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)