Max Talbot isn't Alex Ovechkin's biggest fan, sparks NHL rivalry with name-calling

Jul 27, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT

maximetalbot1.jpgSummer was going along a bit too quietly for my liking and thankfully, Penguins forward Max Talbot stepped up to the plate today and hammered one out of the park. No, not at the Winter Classic press conference today when he was firing pucks through the uprights at Heinz Field, but instead over the airwaves of Pittsburgh radio 105.9 The X. As Talbot was being interviewed to discuss the upcoming Winter Classic press conference, the hosts of the program chided Talbot about his thoughts on Capitals superstar Alexander Ovechkin. Dan Steinberg of D.C. Sports Bog gets us caught up on the details.

“I just hate the guy,” Max Talbot told 105.9 The X on Tuesday as part of some Winter Classic press tours, when asked about Alex Ovechkin. “I can’t lie. Sorry. Even moreso for a guy like Ovechkin. Like, seriously. Ok. Yeah. I don’t like him.”

There was lots of laughter through all of this, and the hosts were egging him on, saying “we agree completely” and “don’t apologize” and the like. Then they asked Talbot when he realized that his dislike for Ovechkin extended beyond normal, competitive on-ice rivalry.

“The first time I met him, actually, when I met him off the ice,” Talbot said. “You hear a lot of stories about a guy, but sometimes they’re not true. You hear of guys who’re not good guys, and you’re like, ‘Yeah, ok, I’ll give the guy a shot.’ The first time I met him, let’s say he didn’t give the best impression to me, so better reason to hate him even more.”

It was the ripped jeans, wasn’t it, Max? Or maybe the techno music? The cackling hosts asked Talbot what exactly happened at this first off-ice meeting.

“I was actually at the NHL Awards last summer with Malkin, and we brought the Stanley Cup over there after the season,” Talbot said. “Malkin knew Ovechkin, and introduced me to him, and the first impression wasn’t great. I’m not really gonna say what happened, but I’m like, ‘Ok, this guy is a real douche.’ “

All right so he doesn’t think Alex Ovechkin is a swell guy. Is this really news? Not really, but it’s pretty amazing to hear a guy come right out and say it himself. Superstars being nice guys are pretty rare and let’s face facts here folks, the guys we idolize out on the ice we very well probably don’t want to know what kind of guys they are off of it. Besides, as Caps blog Japers Rink pointed out on Twitter today, perhaps Max Talbot should exit the glass house before lobbing stones at Alexander Ovechkin.

That is, of course, if you choose to go ahead and take all of this name-calling seriously. I’m sure any of the chatter we’ve heard/read about today pales in comparison to the sort of stuff these guys say to each other on the ice. In other words, this is just a blown up hockey-branded version of a schoolyard game of name-calling and everyone should enjoy the rise they’ve gotten out of millionaires sniping at each other verbally. After all, we should just be thankful that Max Talbot didn’t say anything about Ovechkin’s girlfriend because that’s when the real trouble starts.

1. CAPS FAN - Jul 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Once again, the Pittsburgh PUNKS and one of their girls – MAXINE don’t know when to shut up. Talbot is a nobody and can’t even carry Ovie’s sticks – He shouldn’t even be allowed in the same building let alone on the ice with him. PENS will fall to CAPS this year and forever and will get frozen out on their “home” ice on Jan 1, 2011.
    CAPS will ROCK THE RED.

2. Pens Fan - Jul 27, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Which player scored two goals in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals to help his team win the championship and which player has done nothing in the playoffs and hasn’t won a championship? Maybe Ovie should take a lesson on how to perform and make his team better in the playoffs from Max. Just sayin…

3. Matt - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM

When did you become a Caps fan? 2008?
    Penguins Stanley Cups = 3
    Capitals Stanley Cups = 0
    I know your history as a fan doesn’t stretch back that far, but….scoreboard.
    Now hop back on your bandwagon. They didn’t miss you.

4. Malkintent - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I find it funny that a fan of one of the biggest “PUNKS” in the league is using that term to describe someone else. Ovechkin is a great player — definitely one of the top 3 in the league (depending on who you ask if he is 1, 2 or 3) — but he is a noted cheap-shot artist and has never fought ANYONE. Hell, even Sid and Malkin have been in a fight or two. So take that Crap-itals fan.
    Go PENS!!!

5. MikeL-Caps - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Max Talbot can say all he wants about anyone. But with free speech comes responsibility and accountability. I am sure much will be made of this over the coming months, but in the end, it will be what happens on the ice.
    And before you ask… I’ve been a Caps fan since 1988, over 2 decades, pretty much since I moved to DC. And yes, in the playoffs, the Pens have had the edge on the Caps. But last season the two teams didn’t meet in the playoffs, and in fact, Washington won all four meetings between the teams in the regular season.

6. smeek1958 - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:41 AM

So, if Max is such a nobody and nothing he says is important, why are the Caps fans so bothered by what he said? Or, is it too close to the truth? Hmmm…

7. wayne-o - Jul 28, 2010 at 9:59 AM

I think they are punk douche-bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. mikef63 - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Ovechkin is the best and most exciting player in the league,but what befuddles me is talbot bitches about his demeanor while on his own team is the biggest cry baby in the league in number 87. But anymosity leads to viewer ship and higher ratings.

9. Ross - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:31 AM

By that logic Max Talbot is the best player in the league! Not too many people outside of subway sandwich artists in dormont are willing to assign a higher value to Max Talbot that Alex Ovechkin, but hey, I see your logic…

10. Malkintent - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Ovechkin is the best goal scorer and most exciting player that hits opposing players from behind in the league.
    Fixed that for you mikef63.
    And kudos for keeping the out-dated and unfounded opinion about Crosby. Keep believing what Philth-adelphia and Crap-itals fans tell you.

11. wingnut62 - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:52 AM

The penguins best player overall is billy guerin, whether you like it or not. I hate the Penguins, but i have to give respect to the well decorated veteran, who is the real leader of the team, and is o.k. with giving the spotlight to a whiny little boy named sidney Crybaby.

12. Bandwagon comment from Penfan = LOL - Jul 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM

When did you become a Caps fan? 2008?
    Penguins Stanley Cups = 3
    Capitals Stanley Cups = 0
    I know your history as a fan doesn’t stretch back that far, but….scoreboard.
    Now hop back on your bandwagon. They didn’t miss you.
    —————————-
    Considering you didn’t become a Pen’s fan till what? 2006? you really shouldn’t open your mouth.
    Detroit Redwings Stanley Cups = 11
    I think you should take a look at the scoreboard, try to remember the pounding a pathetic Montreal team slapped on you and attempt to ride out your bandwagon a bit more.
    We know how quickly Pitt fans hop on and off so it wouldn’t suprise me to know you’ve almost jumped off a time or two.
    And for Maxy, the guys a chump. He’ll be out of the league completely in a couple years and we won’t have to hear squat from him.

13. Malkintent - Jul 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM

_____________________________________________________
    Your post should be stricken from the record for lack of hockey knowledge. Guerin is not currently a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins. You think that you might know that since you are on this site and there is another article close to this one about Guerin still not signing with a team.
    Move to the back of the lone and wait for your turn to try again.
    And the Pens best player “overall” is Crosby and he is also won of the best “overall” players in the NHL. Along with Ovechkin, Datsyuk, H. Sedin, Malkin, Backstrom and Stamkos. So, keep calling him a whiner because he embarrasses your team.

14. StakeX - Jul 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM

You know, I’ve actually met Ovechkin in public once and he seemed like a really cool guy. He wasn’t the stuffed shirt you would expect from a guy like Crosby. Speaking of which, its funny for Talbot to trash talk Ovechkin when Im sure if there was a popularity contest in the NHL, we’d see in a quick hurry that Sindy Crosby is probably one of the least liked players in the game… being a little cry baby diver will do that. And while Ovechkin certainly wouldn’t win such a contest… I think its fair to say most of the Pens would fall far lower in the standing then Ovechkin, including Talbot.
    I’m a Rangers fan so I have no bias in this conversation. To be perfectly honest, this sounds like staged media drama to make the Winter Classic that much more of an attraction. Because now every time Washington plays Pitt you’re going to see this mentioned and people will be watching to see if Ovechkin goes after Talbot. Its all just a media ploy to build excitement… which we don’t need since hockey isn’t baseball, and is actually exciting without drama.

15. George - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:19 PM

How many goals does Ovie have in a Stanley Cup Final Game 7? And how many does Talbot have? OR better yet, when was the last time Ovie made it past the second round? And when was the last time Ovie did it? Hmmmmmmm

16. Fred - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:35 PM

My memory may be a little foggy but didn’t that “pathetic” Montreal team lay a pounding on a certain team from DC in the first round?

17. Fred - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I can’t wait for the Pens/Caps games in the burg. Every time Ovie hits the ice, you’ll hear the “dooooooooooouch” chants.

18. Malkintent - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM

——————————————————–
    And if you asked all those players if they would want to play with him they would all say yes. And calling a guy a girls name is the weakest and lamest put down anyone can come up with.
    ——————————————————-
    ——————————————————-
    The only way Ovie “goes after” anyone is if they have their back turned to him against the boards.
    I still think Ovie is a great player, but if you are going to bash Crosby guy, I am going to bash Ovie.

19. Pens #1 - Jul 28, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Awesome!!! It will sound like he’s getting booed but actually folks will be calling him a douche every time he touches the puck.
    Way to go Max!!!

20. Matt - Jul 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Actually, I’m just a Sabres fan who hates everything Capitals because they’re an annoying bandwagon fanbase. Try again.

21. Tyler - Jul 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM

bottom line, this was stupid of talbot to do. it doesnt matter what side you are on. I cant believe the penguins fans who are applauding this. its childish and brings a bad rep to the team. if talbot has hated ovie so much over the past year, why not do something on the ice? thats how men handle things. dont go on a radio show and start something.

22. JF - Jul 28, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Its funny to hear pittsburgh fans calling people bandwagon fans, I am from baltimore and hate all things pittsburgh. pittsburgh has a huge bandwagon fanbase for the pens and steelers. You dont see too many diehard pirates fans though, its funny how that goes.
    Talbot is a donk nobody, and its funny how crosby fans deep down wish he was a physical player not someone who whines and breaks his stick on the goal and gets manhandled by a goalie or cheap shot cross checks people from behind after the play. Oh yeah and that was all in 2010 not in his so called young whiny years.
    Bottom Line: Caps owned the Pens in the reg season last year, they will probably do it again this year. The real test to shut up Pens fans would be to beat them in the playoffs, I would love to see another series in the playoffs with them next year.

23. DA - Jul 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I am a diehard Pittsburgh sports fan. Doesn’t matter if that team has a losing season or not. I still root for the Pirates even though they haven’t had a winning season since like 92′. I 100% agree that Sidney Crosby is the biggest crybaby in the league. But what do you expect a team Captain to do? Just skate away and not make the refs realize somethings. Antagonizing the refs makes the refs more alert to stuff they wouldn’t have seen otherwise later on in the game. And while Crosby is the biggest crybaby in the league, Ovechkin is the the biggest cheap shot player in the league. Ovechkin rarely gets called for any cheap shot because he is a “Superstar.” Talbot won the Stanley Cup for the Pens single handedly in Game 7. As I recall Ovechkin has yet to score a goal in a Finals Game. I could probably score 50 goals a year to if I took 20 shots a game.

24. Mike - Jul 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Penguin fans actually have the nerve to talk about the CAPS fan base!?!? And how many of you are from anywhere near Pittsburg or Pennsylvania for that matter, most have never even visited the city. All these douche bags became Penguins fans in the late 90′s early 2000′s with Jagr/Lemieux or because they liked the cute little penguin logo. If you all want to be Pitt fans you should go back to your shitty ass city.

25. ManUtd - Jul 28, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Since when did someone have to actually be from the city to be a fan of a team? Growing up I was an Avs fan despite being from BC during the Bure days. They just happened to move the year I started watching hockey (I was 5) and I couldn’t not fall in love with Roy, Sakic and Forsberg. I’ve never even been to Colorado and have no interest in going but they’re still my second favorite team. They moved to number 2 when I stopped watching hockey during high school then started again in university and couldn’t help but love the Bertuzzi-less Canucks.
    Of the 6 teams I like (other than the Canucks) I’ve never been to any of those cities or states for that matter. I never will go either. Doesn’t mean I like the TEAMS any less…

26. Mike - Jul 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM

It’s not the people that pick a random team that really bothers me, its the douches that pick the best team because their home team sucks. I live in the DC area and there are just so many fake fans here. For the NFL its almost evenly divided between Redskins, Dallas, Philly and Steelers, for NHL its Capitals or Penguins. NBA it’s, Lakers, Celtics, some Wizards fans and now probably Miami, its just very annoying. My opinion is that you should root for your hometown team, but it is different if you’ve lived in multiple cities. I lived in the DC area my whole life, so I root for all the home teams (Capitals, Redskins, Wizards and Nationals). Plus, I love being able to get news on my team, go to to few games and see them out in public.

27. CJ - Jul 28, 2010 at 8:11 PM

I live in the DC Metro area, and there is NO DOUBT that Craps fans are the biggest bandwagon fans in the country….in ANY sport. They try to hard to beat Pittsburgh in any sport, and they always fall short. The Pens have 3 cups and have won 8 out of 9 playoff series. That, my friends, is SCOREBOARD. The Steelers always throttle the Deadskins when they play. Even the Nats have the look of fairweatherness. NOBODY goes to those games, but when they get on a little roll, the fans come out.
    PLEASE…spare us the crap that Pittsburgh fans are fairweathered. Not even close to Washington fans.
    Talbot is telling the truth. Odooshkin is a big asshole. Crosby represents the game will, and nobody works harder. I’ll take Crosby 366 days a year. Dude is a WINNER.

28. Mike - Jul 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM

See that’s exactly what I hate, douche bags that live in DC, but root for the teams biggest rival because their a better team and have more championships. Fake bandwagon fans! This guys has probably never even visited Pittsburgh.

29. AB - Jul 29, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Actually most people in the DC area aren’t from here. So it’s natural that they are still fans of the hometown team. There seems to be a huge contingent of Steelers fans here because the job market is so much better. I know a lot of people that are fans of their hometown teams and after being in DC awhile, they become fans of the DC area teams, too. I know a lot of people insult the caps for having a lot of new fans, but what’s the big deal? A lot of these new fans take the time to learn about the game of hockey and become real fans. Part of it is the depression of being a skins fan after 10 years of Danny Boy. People here are football fans first but are learning to enjoy hockey, too. If you were a true NHL fan, wouldn’t you be happy for the league to become more popular?
    About Talbot: personally I was surprised that he called Ovie names in public, I don’t think he should of done that. I don’t think Ovechkin will really pay much attention to him, he’s back in Moscow partying. Talbot is really beneath his notice. Perhaps Talbot was acting like a douche when he met Ovie so he got the same behavior in return? Or maybe he was upset that Ovie didn’t share his showgirls?

30. Mike - Jul 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I agree with you 100% and and I fully respect the people who move to the DC area and root for their hometown teams. I just have no respect for the ones who have lived here their whole life and end up just picking the best team.

31. youreajoke - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:16 AM

A nobody? I guess scoring the only 2 goals in a Cup clitching game 7 makes you invisible. You’re a joke.

32. youreajoke - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Dude shut up. You haven’t ever watched a hockey game. Faggot.

33. Fecteau - Aug 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Hey Matt, for the record, I’m a Caps fan as well. A bit insulted by your comments, but before that, I’ll tell you that I was born in Hartford, CT. Have you heard of the town? (in the news today essentially) I moved to Richmond VA 6 years ago and since the Caps were closer, than the Carolina Failurecanes, I decided to root for my “home team” For the record, I’m fans of both teams despite them being in the same division.
    But you should be kissing us Hartford ‘I bleed green’ fan’s asses with those comments.
    Let’s look at how many Stanley Cups you had BEFORE your team STOLE Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson for three crappy players. Oddly enough Eddie Johnston, the GM of the Whalers at the time, shortly joined the Pittsburgh organization. If you didn’t win those two Cups (something that wouldn’t have happened without that trade and those two instrumental players) you’d be talking about the Penguins from Phoenix or Carolina or some other town.
    Or did you just jump on YOUR bandwagon? Punk

34. Fecteau - Aug 3, 2010 at 4:21 PM

You mention 8 of nine playoff series… How did you come to that conclusion? They go knocked out in second round by the Quebecois, 1/2, they won the year prior, 4/4, and they got to the finals the year before 3-4… That would add up to 8-10… I know its semantics, but let’s completely forget them getting knocked out immediately after the Caps by the same team!

35. MG - Aug 7, 2010 at 7:53 AM

I’ll give Talbot his due for scoring those 2 big goals in game 7 and bringing the cup to Pittsburgh. I am a Wings fan, but also a hockey fan and it is hard to argue with anyone who states that Talbot has done more in big games than Ovechkin. That being said, does Talbot really need to say anything about this? Ovechkin may be a complete jerk in public, but he is good for the game. He has certainly helped bring fans to Washington and is good for TV ratings. So is Crosby, eventhough I don’t think much of him as a person. Think he whines an awful lot and didn’t like that he left game 7 of the ’09 finals and was apparently too injured to come back, but he still is a heck of a player.

36. rdk67pens - Aug 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM

well,hopefully your intelligence exceeds your mouth “wrong” they felt sorry for him an gave him a mvp,which was as wrong as you are.its supposed to be for a player most valuable to his “team”that leaves vechpunk out.he doesnt know what team is,its not speeled me,as in his cheap shot empty netter with seconds left and ahead by goais.play like a real hocketman not the cheap stuff he is noted for around the league.

37. rdk67pens - Aug 11, 2010 at 2:08 PM

well,hopefully your intelligence exceeds your mouth “wrong” they felt sorry for him an gave him a mvp,which was as wrong as you are.its supposed to be for a player most valuable to his “team”that leaves vechpunk out.he doesnt know what team is,its not spelled me,as in his cheap shot empty netter with seconds left and ahead by goais.play like a real hockeyman not the cheap stuff he is noted for around the league.

38. Gary Bettman - Aug 17, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Sidney LOVES man juice.

39. The mayor of Baltimore - Aug 21, 2010 at 6:10 AM

@ JF – you are easily the biggest douche on the board. A freakin’ whiny Baltimore fan. I am surprised you could get Ray’s Ray’s man meat out of your mouth long enough to type.
    You do not have a hockey team and your AHL team was once the Penguins farm team. You stole the Browns, so your NFL franchise is nothing more than a festering pile of feces. Sorry, you lost the Colts but you had to steal a team to win the Super Bowl.
    I respect the Orioles and their fans, but Baltimore pretty much defines bandwagon fans.

40. Anonymous - Aug 24, 2010 at 7:25 PM

JF
    ____________________________________________________________________
    This was just about one of the funniest / stupidest comments I’ve ever read on a message board, and for those who’ve read the board, you know that’s gotta be pretty bad. Steeler’s fans, bandwagon fans? Seriously?
    They are second in the league in consecutive sellouts.
    If they are on the “bandwagon”, its been a loooong ride for them.
    Steeler’s fans are quite often regarded as the best and most die-hard fans around the league. Have you ever seen the number of fans that travel to, or displaced fans that attend away games. Quite often they make the visiting field appear like a home game.
    But I digress. I just realized you are from Baltimore. That explains the ignorance. And logic won’t work on those who lack logic skills. Sorry for wasting your time – please feel free to go back to your little delusional world.

41. Tyler - Sep 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM

This is like the caps back up goalie talkin crap about Crosby. dribble

42. Dawn - Oct 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Wait a second. Before you go calling the Hurricanes ‘Failurecanes’ keep in mind that they still have a Stanley Cup and Washington doesn’t. I love both teams, even if they have to play each other, and I still stand behind Carolina despite their rough last couple of seasons. I was born in North Carolina and lived most of my life in Virginia so they truly are my ‘home teams.’ So quit jumping on the bandwagon, kthx.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D