Jul 27, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
It was rumored about yesterday and today it’s official. Former Kings star forward Alexander Frolov has signed with the New York Rangers. While the Rangers didn’t release details of the contract, Arthur Staple of New York Newsday tweeted the details for us.
Frolov signs a 1-year, $3-millon deal with NYRangers. Turned down four years, $20-mil from khl.
That’s a lot of scratch to say “no” to from the league in your home country. As for what Frolov can do for the Rangers, he can score goals. Twice he’s been a 30+ goal scorer with the Kings and he’s a pure offensive player. For the Rangers, that’s exactly what they need and getting a complimentary player for Marian Gaborik will help them out immensely. If you’re stressing about whether Frolov can contribute to the penalty kill, perhaps your priorities in thinking about what the Rangers desperately need are misaligned.
Last season with Los Angeles, Frolov ran into some bad luck scoring just 19 goals while seeing his shooting percentage drop by four percent compared to his career average. While $3 million dollars isn’t exactly cheap, the Rangers are buying low on a guy that has had a bit of a roller coaster ride year to year with his goal scoring.
The other part of this signing that leads to questions for the Rangers is what happens with their salary cap. With Frolov on board, the Rangers salary cap gets a lot tighter and they’ve still got restricted free agent Marc Staal to get re-signed yet. The Rangers have declared that they’ll match any offer for Staal, so who is the odd man out in New York? Salary cap logic tells us that all signs point to Wade Redden being sent away to the AHL to hide his wretched contract worth $6.5 million against the cap.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)