Jul 27, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
It came down to the wire as far as arbitration goes, but the Islanders have got their man back in the fold and at a reasonable cost as well. Matt Moulson, the Islanders leading goal scorer last year, has re-signed with the team on a one-year contract worth $2.4 million.
What’s notable about this deal is that it’s at a good cost for the Isles (or any team really). How many 30-goal scorers do you know that can get locked down for under $3 million a year? Of course, there’s probably a good reason for this as Moulson came out of nowhere last season to be one of the Isles most counted on goal scorers. Up until last season, the former Cornell University forward had a hard time breaking into the AHL, spending most of his career in the AHL with Manchester in the Kings organization. The Kings gave up on Moulson and the Islanders signed him as a free agent and the rest is history.
The key now for Moulson is to be able to repeat that success again this season. Moulson was mostly a goal guy, only netting 18 assists last season, and his shooting percentage fell right in line with other top goal scorers in the league (scope it out for yourselves here). Whether Moulson can repeat this success now that teams will be better focusing in on him remains to be seen. The one-year deal allows the Islanders to see if Moulson can live up to the success, but they run the risk of having other teams competing for him openly at the end of the year if he does as he’ll be an unrestricted free agent after this season.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)