Jul 27, 2010, 10:55 AM EST
It came down to the wire as far as arbitration goes, but the Islanders have got their man back in the fold and at a reasonable cost as well. Matt Moulson, the Islanders leading goal scorer last year, has re-signed with the team on a one-year contract worth $2.4 million.
What’s notable about this deal is that it’s at a good cost for the Isles (or any team really). How many 30-goal scorers do you know that can get locked down for under $3 million a year? Of course, there’s probably a good reason for this as Moulson came out of nowhere last season to be one of the Isles most counted on goal scorers. Up until last season, the former Cornell University forward had a hard time breaking into the AHL, spending most of his career in the AHL with Manchester in the Kings organization. The Kings gave up on Moulson and the Islanders signed him as a free agent and the rest is history.
The key now for Moulson is to be able to repeat that success again this season. Moulson was mostly a goal guy, only netting 18 assists last season, and his shooting percentage fell right in line with other top goal scorers in the league (scope it out for yourselves here). Whether Moulson can repeat this success now that teams will be better focusing in on him remains to be seen. The one-year deal allows the Islanders to see if Moulson can live up to the success, but they run the risk of having other teams competing for him openly at the end of the year if he does as he’ll be an unrestricted free agent after this season.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 1
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 6
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)