Jul 27, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
It came down to the wire as far as arbitration goes, but the Islanders have got their man back in the fold and at a reasonable cost as well. Matt Moulson, the Islanders leading goal scorer last year, has re-signed with the team on a one-year contract worth $2.4 million.
What’s notable about this deal is that it’s at a good cost for the Isles (or any team really). How many 30-goal scorers do you know that can get locked down for under $3 million a year? Of course, there’s probably a good reason for this as Moulson came out of nowhere last season to be one of the Isles most counted on goal scorers. Up until last season, the former Cornell University forward had a hard time breaking into the AHL, spending most of his career in the AHL with Manchester in the Kings organization. The Kings gave up on Moulson and the Islanders signed him as a free agent and the rest is history.
The key now for Moulson is to be able to repeat that success again this season. Moulson was mostly a goal guy, only netting 18 assists last season, and his shooting percentage fell right in line with other top goal scorers in the league (scope it out for yourselves here). Whether Moulson can repeat this success now that teams will be better focusing in on him remains to be seen. The one-year deal allows the Islanders to see if Moulson can live up to the success, but they run the risk of having other teams competing for him openly at the end of the year if he does as he’ll be an unrestricted free agent after this season.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)