Jul 27, 2010, 9:15 PM EDT
The trend of NHL teams narrowly avoiding salary arbitration continues tonight as the Washington Capitals and forward Tomas Fleischmann agreed to a one-year, $2.6 million deal. (Financial details via Tarik El-Bashir) Here is more regarding Fleischmann from the Caps.
Fleischmann, 26, set career highs in goals (23), assists (28), points (51) and plus/minus (+9) in 2009-10. He finished sixth on the team in goals and seventh in points and ranked sixth in the NHL with a 19.0 shooting percentage. Fleischmann scored 10 of his 23 goals in the first period and scored eight goals in the 10 games that Alex Ovechkin was missing from the lineup. He established offensive career highs despite missing the first 11 games of the season recovering from deep vein thrombosis in his leg.
The Koprivinice, Czech Republic, native was acquired from Detroit in a 2004 trade and has played 260 career games for the Capitals. He has compiled 128 points (56 goals, 72 assists) and has improved his goal and point totals each year.
Popular Capitals blog Japer’s Rink provided a “mock arbitration” in which the hypothetical Capitals asked for $1.9 million while the imaginary Fleischmann group wanted $3.1 million, so this deal seems like a near-perfect compromise if you go by that account.
Using CapGeek as a guide, the Capitals will have just under $6 million in cap space with 20 players (including 10 forwards) at the NHL level.
Their roster is nearly complete at this point, although they could definitely use a second line/depth center going forward. (More on that later tonight.)
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 18
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 25
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 27
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 13
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 83
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm