Jul 26, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
The dramatic overhaul of the Tampa Bay Lightning continued today as the team chose former Seattle Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke to be the CEO of Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment, according to TSN. Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment is apparently the parent company of both the Lightning and its arena, the St. Pete Times Forum. (It’s also a few tweaks away from having the acronym “T.E.A.S.E.” but I digress.)
Here are a few more details from TSN.
Subject to league approval, Leiweke will also become an Alternate Governor to the NHL’s Board of Governors and will acquire an ownership stake in Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment.
Leiweke has served as the CEO of the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks and President of Vulcan Sports for the past seven years, also providing oversight of the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers and the Seattle Sounders of the MLS.
This will not be Leiweke’s first dalliance in the NHL as he served as Executive VP of the Vancouver Canucks and President of the Minnesota Wild in their expansion season.
While I’m no expert on corporate executives, that’s a pretty impressive resume for Leiweke. Although, as Japer’s Rink pointed out on Twitter, the fact that his name lacks the standard number of D’s (“Tod” rather than “Todd”) seems a little fishy.
All kidding aside, I have to tip my cap to the job Steve Yzerman and the new ownership group is doing.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)