Jul 26, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
The dramatic overhaul of the Tampa Bay Lightning continued today as the team chose former Seattle Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke to be the CEO of Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment, according to TSN. Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment is apparently the parent company of both the Lightning and its arena, the St. Pete Times Forum. (It’s also a few tweaks away from having the acronym “T.E.A.S.E.” but I digress.)
Here are a few more details from TSN.
Subject to league approval, Leiweke will also become an Alternate Governor to the NHL’s Board of Governors and will acquire an ownership stake in Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment.
Leiweke has served as the CEO of the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks and President of Vulcan Sports for the past seven years, also providing oversight of the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers and the Seattle Sounders of the MLS.
This will not be Leiweke’s first dalliance in the NHL as he served as Executive VP of the Vancouver Canucks and President of the Minnesota Wild in their expansion season.
While I’m no expert on corporate executives, that’s a pretty impressive resume for Leiweke. Although, as Japer’s Rink pointed out on Twitter, the fact that his name lacks the standard number of D’s (“Tod” rather than “Todd”) seems a little fishy.
All kidding aside, I have to tip my cap to the job Steve Yzerman and the new ownership group is doing.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)