Jul 26, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
The dramatic overhaul of the Tampa Bay Lightning continued today as the team chose former Seattle Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke to be the CEO of Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment, according to TSN. Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment is apparently the parent company of both the Lightning and its arena, the St. Pete Times Forum. (It’s also a few tweaks away from having the acronym “T.E.A.S.E.” but I digress.)
Here are a few more details from TSN.
Subject to league approval, Leiweke will also become an Alternate Governor to the NHL’s Board of Governors and will acquire an ownership stake in Tampa Bay Sports and Entertainment.
Leiweke has served as the CEO of the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks and President of Vulcan Sports for the past seven years, also providing oversight of the NBA’s Portland Trail Blazers and the Seattle Sounders of the MLS.
This will not be Leiweke’s first dalliance in the NHL as he served as Executive VP of the Vancouver Canucks and President of the Minnesota Wild in their expansion season.
While I’m no expert on corporate executives, that’s a pretty impressive resume for Leiweke. Although, as Japer’s Rink pointed out on Twitter, the fact that his name lacks the standard number of D’s (“Tod” rather than “Todd”) seems a little fishy.
All kidding aside, I have to tip my cap to the job Steve Yzerman and the new ownership group is doing.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)