Jul 26, 2010, 6:20 PM EST
The New York Islanders announced that they signed an affiliation agreement with the Kalamazoo Wings of the Eastern Conference Hockey League. They’ll be a part of the organization along with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the team that acts as the Islanders’ primary affiliate in the AHL.
(No word on whether or not the team’s official intro music will be “Kalamazoo” by Primus. My guess is no.)
The team provides a little background on the Kalamazoo, Michigan outfit.
Kalamazoo captured the North Division title last year in their inaugural ECHL campaign, while 28 of their players made appearances in the AHL. Seeded third in the Eastern Conference during the 2010 Kelly Cup Playoffs, the K-Wings fell to the Reading Royals, three games to two, in their first round series of the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Established in 1974, the K-Wings have won three championships in their existence: two in the original IHL (1979 and 1980) and one in the UHL (2006).
Considering their proximity to the Detroit Red Wings and deep history, it’s probably a lot to ask when I advise them to change their nickname. I mean, after all, they’re not part of the Red Wings organization right? Clearly, this team should be known as the Kalamazoo Kazoos or the Kalamazoo Kangaroos, right?
No? OK, I’ll go away then.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 0
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)