Jul 26, 2010, 6:20 PM EST
The New York Islanders announced that they signed an affiliation agreement with the Kalamazoo Wings of the Eastern Conference Hockey League. They’ll be a part of the organization along with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the team that acts as the Islanders’ primary affiliate in the AHL.
(No word on whether or not the team’s official intro music will be “Kalamazoo” by Primus. My guess is no.)
The team provides a little background on the Kalamazoo, Michigan outfit.
Kalamazoo captured the North Division title last year in their inaugural ECHL campaign, while 28 of their players made appearances in the AHL. Seeded third in the Eastern Conference during the 2010 Kelly Cup Playoffs, the K-Wings fell to the Reading Royals, three games to two, in their first round series of the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Established in 1974, the K-Wings have won three championships in their existence: two in the original IHL (1979 and 1980) and one in the UHL (2006).
Considering their proximity to the Detroit Red Wings and deep history, it’s probably a lot to ask when I advise them to change their nickname. I mean, after all, they’re not part of the Red Wings organization right? Clearly, this team should be known as the Kalamazoo Kazoos or the Kalamazoo Kangaroos, right?
No? OK, I’ll go away then.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)