Jul 26, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced that they signed an affiliation agreement with the Kalamazoo Wings of the Eastern Conference Hockey League. They’ll be a part of the organization along with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the team that acts as the Islanders’ primary affiliate in the AHL.
(No word on whether or not the team’s official intro music will be “Kalamazoo” by Primus. My guess is no.)
The team provides a little background on the Kalamazoo, Michigan outfit.
Kalamazoo captured the North Division title last year in their inaugural ECHL campaign, while 28 of their players made appearances in the AHL. Seeded third in the Eastern Conference during the 2010 Kelly Cup Playoffs, the K-Wings fell to the Reading Royals, three games to two, in their first round series of the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Established in 1974, the K-Wings have won three championships in their existence: two in the original IHL (1979 and 1980) and one in the UHL (2006).
Considering their proximity to the Detroit Red Wings and deep history, it’s probably a lot to ask when I advise them to change their nickname. I mean, after all, they’re not part of the Red Wings organization right? Clearly, this team should be known as the Kalamazoo Kazoos or the Kalamazoo Kangaroos, right?
No? OK, I’ll go away then.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 49
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (50)