Jul 26, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced that they signed an affiliation agreement with the Kalamazoo Wings of the Eastern Conference Hockey League. They’ll be a part of the organization along with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the team that acts as the Islanders’ primary affiliate in the AHL.
(No word on whether or not the team’s official intro music will be “Kalamazoo” by Primus. My guess is no.)
The team provides a little background on the Kalamazoo, Michigan outfit.
Kalamazoo captured the North Division title last year in their inaugural ECHL campaign, while 28 of their players made appearances in the AHL. Seeded third in the Eastern Conference during the 2010 Kelly Cup Playoffs, the K-Wings fell to the Reading Royals, three games to two, in their first round series of the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Established in 1974, the K-Wings have won three championships in their existence: two in the original IHL (1979 and 1980) and one in the UHL (2006).
Considering their proximity to the Detroit Red Wings and deep history, it’s probably a lot to ask when I advise them to change their nickname. I mean, after all, they’re not part of the Red Wings organization right? Clearly, this team should be known as the Kalamazoo Kazoos or the Kalamazoo Kangaroos, right?
No? OK, I’ll go away then.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 24
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 27
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)