Jul 26, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
The New York Islanders announced that they signed an affiliation agreement with the Kalamazoo Wings of the Eastern Conference Hockey League. They’ll be a part of the organization along with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the team that acts as the Islanders’ primary affiliate in the AHL.
(No word on whether or not the team’s official intro music will be “Kalamazoo” by Primus. My guess is no.)
The team provides a little background on the Kalamazoo, Michigan outfit.
Kalamazoo captured the North Division title last year in their inaugural ECHL campaign, while 28 of their players made appearances in the AHL. Seeded third in the Eastern Conference during the 2010 Kelly Cup Playoffs, the K-Wings fell to the Reading Royals, three games to two, in their first round series of the Kelly Cup Playoffs. Established in 1974, the K-Wings have won three championships in their existence: two in the original IHL (1979 and 1980) and one in the UHL (2006).
Considering their proximity to the Detroit Red Wings and deep history, it’s probably a lot to ask when I advise them to change their nickname. I mean, after all, they’re not part of the Red Wings organization right? Clearly, this team should be known as the Kalamazoo Kazoos or the Kalamazoo Kangaroos, right?
No? OK, I’ll go away then.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 9
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 81
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (82)