Jul 26, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Soon after the NHLPA filed its grievance regarding the Ilya Kovalchuk contract as expected, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly released a statement in response. Craig Custance of the Sporting News blog The Grinder shares Daly’s comment.
“We have received formal notice that the NHLPA is grieving the League’s rejection of Ilya Kovalchuk’s contract with the New Jersey Devils. Although there is no defined timetable at this point, we intend to work with the Players’ Association to ensure an expeditious resolution of this dispute. The League looks forward to the opportunity to establish its position before the arbitrator. We will have no further public comment pending completion of the process.”
While the Kovalchuk saga features plenty of twists and turns, these official statements are as dry as a plain three-day-old bagel.
What I’m really anxious to find out is just how long it will take for the NHL to find an independent arbitrator. In the mean time, Kovalchuk will find himself in the odd position of not really having a true contract but also not actually being a genuine free agent either.
His quest to receive a $100 million has been pretty absurd and it’s not over yet. As always, we’ll keep you updated as this story potentially drags on through the hockey-poor month of August … and dare I say, beyond?
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)