Jul 26, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
Soon after the NHLPA filed its grievance regarding the Ilya Kovalchuk contract as expected, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly released a statement in response. Craig Custance of the Sporting News blog The Grinder shares Daly’s comment.
“We have received formal notice that the NHLPA is grieving the League’s rejection of Ilya Kovalchuk’s contract with the New Jersey Devils. Although there is no defined timetable at this point, we intend to work with the Players’ Association to ensure an expeditious resolution of this dispute. The League looks forward to the opportunity to establish its position before the arbitrator. We will have no further public comment pending completion of the process.”
While the Kovalchuk saga features plenty of twists and turns, these official statements are as dry as a plain three-day-old bagel.
What I’m really anxious to find out is just how long it will take for the NHL to find an independent arbitrator. In the mean time, Kovalchuk will find himself in the odd position of not really having a true contract but also not actually being a genuine free agent either.
His quest to receive a $100 million has been pretty absurd and it’s not over yet. As always, we’ll keep you updated as this story potentially drags on through the hockey-poor month of August … and dare I say, beyond?
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 10
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)