Jul 26, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
Update: it appears that the Canucks narrowly avoided arbitration and signed forward Mason Raymond to a reasonable deal, which was settled at two-years, $5.1 million total according to Nick Kypreos.
Van news. Mason Raymond…. Hearing settled. 2 years. 2.5/2.6M
Looking at Raymond’s numbers from last year, I probably should have made him a part of my “players who need to prove they are not one-hit wonders” list. While the Sedin twins and – by extension – Mikael Samuelsson received most of the attention for blossoming for Vancouver last season, Raymond made a huge improvement by going from 23 points in 08-09 to 53 last season. He actually scored more goals (25) in 09-10 than he scored points in 08-09 (23).
He wasn’t quite as brilliant in the playoffs, though, with a similar output this postseason (four points in 12 games) compared to the ’09 summer (three points in 10 games).
That being said, I’d still rather spend a slightly larger amount on a 24-year-old with as much upside as Raymond rather than a disappointment like MacArthur or someone of his ilk. It seems like a good deal for Vancouver while Raymond will get the chance to make more money on his next contract.
Coming up next, I’ll list the remaining salary arbitration hearings.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)