Jul 26, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
Update: it appears that the Canucks narrowly avoided arbitration and signed forward Mason Raymond to a reasonable deal, which was settled at two-years, $5.1 million total according to Nick Kypreos.
Van news. Mason Raymond…. Hearing settled. 2 years. 2.5/2.6M
Looking at Raymond’s numbers from last year, I probably should have made him a part of my “players who need to prove they are not one-hit wonders” list. While the Sedin twins and – by extension – Mikael Samuelsson received most of the attention for blossoming for Vancouver last season, Raymond made a huge improvement by going from 23 points in 08-09 to 53 last season. He actually scored more goals (25) in 09-10 than he scored points in 08-09 (23).
He wasn’t quite as brilliant in the playoffs, though, with a similar output this postseason (four points in 12 games) compared to the ’09 summer (three points in 10 games).
That being said, I’d still rather spend a slightly larger amount on a 24-year-old with as much upside as Raymond rather than a disappointment like MacArthur or someone of his ilk. It seems like a good deal for Vancouver while Raymond will get the chance to make more money on his next contract.
Coming up next, I’ll list the remaining salary arbitration hearings.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)