Jul 26, 2010, 11:10 AM EST
Update: it appears that the Canucks narrowly avoided arbitration and signed forward Mason Raymond to a reasonable deal, which was settled at two-years, $5.1 million total according to Nick Kypreos.
Van news. Mason Raymond…. Hearing settled. 2 years. 2.5/2.6M
Looking at Raymond’s numbers from last year, I probably should have made him a part of my “players who need to prove they are not one-hit wonders” list. While the Sedin twins and – by extension – Mikael Samuelsson received most of the attention for blossoming for Vancouver last season, Raymond made a huge improvement by going from 23 points in 08-09 to 53 last season. He actually scored more goals (25) in 09-10 than he scored points in 08-09 (23).
He wasn’t quite as brilliant in the playoffs, though, with a similar output this postseason (four points in 12 games) compared to the ’09 summer (three points in 10 games).
That being said, I’d still rather spend a slightly larger amount on a 24-year-old with as much upside as Raymond rather than a disappointment like MacArthur or someone of his ilk. It seems like a good deal for Vancouver while Raymond will get the chance to make more money on his next contract.
Coming up next, I’ll list the remaining salary arbitration hearings.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 23
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)