Jul 26, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
Update: it appears that the Canucks narrowly avoided arbitration and signed forward Mason Raymond to a reasonable deal, which was settled at two-years, $5.1 million total according to Nick Kypreos.
Van news. Mason Raymond…. Hearing settled. 2 years. 2.5/2.6M
Looking at Raymond’s numbers from last year, I probably should have made him a part of my “players who need to prove they are not one-hit wonders” list. While the Sedin twins and – by extension – Mikael Samuelsson received most of the attention for blossoming for Vancouver last season, Raymond made a huge improvement by going from 23 points in 08-09 to 53 last season. He actually scored more goals (25) in 09-10 than he scored points in 08-09 (23).
He wasn’t quite as brilliant in the playoffs, though, with a similar output this postseason (four points in 12 games) compared to the ’09 summer (three points in 10 games).
That being said, I’d still rather spend a slightly larger amount on a 24-year-old with as much upside as Raymond rather than a disappointment like MacArthur or someone of his ilk. It seems like a good deal for Vancouver while Raymond will get the chance to make more money on his next contract.
Coming up next, I’ll list the remaining salary arbitration hearings.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)