Jul 25, 2010, 11:40 PM EDT
With Ilya Kovalchuk (kind of) gone from the unrestricted free agent market and Simon Gagne traded, Alexander Frolov remains one of the best options out there. In fact, I’d argue that Frolov’s game is one of the most blemish-free of the available players.
Frolov’s agent said the #NYR are very interested in Frolov. Agent also said in the last 2 days the Kings also made inquiries.
We discussed rumors of the New York Rangers thinking about Frolov on July 1, actually, but there haven’t been many details since then. The team has a reasonable amount of salary cap space ($4.44 million with 21 roster spots covered, according to CapGeek) so signing him isn’t out of the question depending on his salary demands. When you consider the fact that the team is depending on the incredibly fragile Marian Gaborik for a huge chunk of its offense, Frolov would be welcome. Of course, that also might make him really frustrating.
At first it seemed like the Kings were going to part with Frolov, but can you blame them for taking a look too? The team missed out on Kovalchuk and (passed on?) Gagne, so their options come down to the familiar (Frolov) or the risky (someone like Lee Stempniak).
Both the Kings and Rangers would be better with Frolov, but each team needs to accept that he will only provide a boost. If their expectations go any higher than that, they’re likely to be let down.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 3
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 11
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 33
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 72
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (72)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control