Jul 25, 2010, 11:40 PM EDT
With Ilya Kovalchuk (kind of) gone from the unrestricted free agent market and Simon Gagne traded, Alexander Frolov remains one of the best options out there. In fact, I’d argue that Frolov’s game is one of the most blemish-free of the available players.
Frolov’s agent said the #NYR are very interested in Frolov. Agent also said in the last 2 days the Kings also made inquiries.
We discussed rumors of the New York Rangers thinking about Frolov on July 1, actually, but there haven’t been many details since then. The team has a reasonable amount of salary cap space ($4.44 million with 21 roster spots covered, according to CapGeek) so signing him isn’t out of the question depending on his salary demands. When you consider the fact that the team is depending on the incredibly fragile Marian Gaborik for a huge chunk of its offense, Frolov would be welcome. Of course, that also might make him really frustrating.
At first it seemed like the Kings were going to part with Frolov, but can you blame them for taking a look too? The team missed out on Kovalchuk and (passed on?) Gagne, so their options come down to the familiar (Frolov) or the risky (someone like Lee Stempniak).
Both the Kings and Rangers would be better with Frolov, but each team needs to accept that he will only provide a boost. If their expectations go any higher than that, they’re likely to be let down.
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 0
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)