Jul 25, 2010, 11:40 PM EDT
With Ilya Kovalchuk (kind of) gone from the unrestricted free agent market and Simon Gagne traded, Alexander Frolov remains one of the best options out there. In fact, I’d argue that Frolov’s game is one of the most blemish-free of the available players.
Frolov’s agent said the #NYR are very interested in Frolov. Agent also said in the last 2 days the Kings also made inquiries.
We discussed rumors of the New York Rangers thinking about Frolov on July 1, actually, but there haven’t been many details since then. The team has a reasonable amount of salary cap space ($4.44 million with 21 roster spots covered, according to CapGeek) so signing him isn’t out of the question depending on his salary demands. When you consider the fact that the team is depending on the incredibly fragile Marian Gaborik for a huge chunk of its offense, Frolov would be welcome. Of course, that also might make him really frustrating.
At first it seemed like the Kings were going to part with Frolov, but can you blame them for taking a look too? The team missed out on Kovalchuk and (passed on?) Gagne, so their options come down to the familiar (Frolov) or the risky (someone like Lee Stempniak).
Both the Kings and Rangers would be better with Frolov, but each team needs to accept that he will only provide a boost. If their expectations go any higher than that, they’re likely to be let down.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)