Jul 25, 2010, 11:40 PM EDT
With Ilya Kovalchuk (kind of) gone from the unrestricted free agent market and Simon Gagne traded, Alexander Frolov remains one of the best options out there. In fact, I’d argue that Frolov’s game is one of the most blemish-free of the available players.
Frolov’s agent said the #NYR are very interested in Frolov. Agent also said in the last 2 days the Kings also made inquiries.
We discussed rumors of the New York Rangers thinking about Frolov on July 1, actually, but there haven’t been many details since then. The team has a reasonable amount of salary cap space ($4.44 million with 21 roster spots covered, according to CapGeek) so signing him isn’t out of the question depending on his salary demands. When you consider the fact that the team is depending on the incredibly fragile Marian Gaborik for a huge chunk of its offense, Frolov would be welcome. Of course, that also might make him really frustrating.
At first it seemed like the Kings were going to part with Frolov, but can you blame them for taking a look too? The team missed out on Kovalchuk and (passed on?) Gagne, so their options come down to the familiar (Frolov) or the risky (someone like Lee Stempniak).
Both the Kings and Rangers would be better with Frolov, but each team needs to accept that he will only provide a boost. If their expectations go any higher than that, they’re likely to be let down.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 35
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0