Jul 25, 2010, 5:41 PM EST
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater picked up on the scent of something that the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson dropped a brief mention of recently and got to wondering if there’s much to it. In it, Matheson wondered aloud that the Colorado Avalanche have some interest in Edmonton center Andrew Cogliano. Cogliano is an unsigned restricted free agent of the Oilers and you’d have to think an offer sheet wouldn’t be the preferable route. Dater says of Cogliano:
He’s been a 30-40 point guy in his three-year career and is a former first-round pick. Cogliano made $850,000 last season and is currently an unsigned, restricted free agent. The Avs have two guys like that too – Chris Stewart and Peter Mueller – but I can’t fathom either of them being moved to Edmonton as part of a trade just for Cogliano.
The other side of this is that Denver is swimming in salary cap space. While cap space doesn’t always dictate what a team is willing to spend in their internal budget, the Avs could stand to at least get to the cap floor first. Finding a way to add Cogliano would be a boost to the Avs offense and doing so without parting with Stewart and Mueller would be exceptional for them. Stewart had a breakout season and Mueller found his game again after being traded to Colorado at the deadline for Wojtek Wolski. Besides, if the Avs can keep the puck moving in the opposite direction of goaltender Craig Anderson, I’m sure he’d appreciate the break. Anderson lead the league in shots faced last season with 2,233.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 35
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28