Jul 25, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater picked up on the scent of something that the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson dropped a brief mention of recently and got to wondering if there’s much to it. In it, Matheson wondered aloud that the Colorado Avalanche have some interest in Edmonton center Andrew Cogliano. Cogliano is an unsigned restricted free agent of the Oilers and you’d have to think an offer sheet wouldn’t be the preferable route. Dater says of Cogliano:
He’s been a 30-40 point guy in his three-year career and is a former first-round pick. Cogliano made $850,000 last season and is currently an unsigned, restricted free agent. The Avs have two guys like that too – Chris Stewart and Peter Mueller – but I can’t fathom either of them being moved to Edmonton as part of a trade just for Cogliano.
The other side of this is that Denver is swimming in salary cap space. While cap space doesn’t always dictate what a team is willing to spend in their internal budget, the Avs could stand to at least get to the cap floor first. Finding a way to add Cogliano would be a boost to the Avs offense and doing so without parting with Stewart and Mueller would be exceptional for them. Stewart had a breakout season and Mueller found his game again after being traded to Colorado at the deadline for Wojtek Wolski. Besides, if the Avs can keep the puck moving in the opposite direction of goaltender Craig Anderson, I’m sure he’d appreciate the break. Anderson lead the league in shots faced last season with 2,233.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 21
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 11
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54