Jul 23, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning keep making changes on and off the ice (and behind the bench). In the first bit of news, the team announced the firing of Norfolk coach Jim Johnson and “roving” goalie coach Cap Raeder according to Damian Cristodero.
In the latest bit of housecleaning from the previous regime, the Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday fired Norfolk coach Jim Johnson and roving goaltenders coach Cap Raeder. Somewhat of a surprise as both, especially Johnson, were lauded by Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman for the way they ran the recent development camp. Yzerman went as far as to say he and Johnson were “on the same page.”
Unfortunately for Johnson, Yzerman is clearly writing a new chapter.
Earlier this week, the team announced that two of Guy Boucher’s assistants would serve similar roles in Tampa Bay. The team added a third assistant today, bringing in former Edmonton Oilers assistant Wayne Fleming according to TSN. Here is more on Fleming.
The Lightning have also named Wayne Fleming assistant coach. He has more than 30 years of coaching experience, both internationally and at the NHL level. He served as an assistant to Pat Quinn in Edmonton last season.
Finally, in the last bit of small-time Lightning news, the team signed center Marc-Antoine Pouliot to a one-year, two-way contract.
It’s been a busy summer for the Lightning – and while I cannot really tell you much about the changes made in their coaching staff – I will say that I’ve generally been very impressed with the changes made in Tampa Bay. They might have a few more steps to take before they’re a true contender in the East, but a playoff berth is a distinct possibility in 10-11.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5