Jul 23, 2010, 8:10 PM EDT
Steve Yzerman and the Tampa Bay Lightning keep making changes on and off the ice (and behind the bench). In the first bit of news, the team announced the firing of Norfolk coach Jim Johnson and “roving” goalie coach Cap Raeder according to Damian Cristodero.
In the latest bit of housecleaning from the previous regime, the Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday fired Norfolk coach Jim Johnson and roving goaltenders coach Cap Raeder. Somewhat of a surprise as both, especially Johnson, were lauded by Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman for the way they ran the recent development camp. Yzerman went as far as to say he and Johnson were “on the same page.”
Unfortunately for Johnson, Yzerman is clearly writing a new chapter.
Earlier this week, the team announced that two of Guy Boucher’s assistants would serve similar roles in Tampa Bay. The team added a third assistant today, bringing in former Edmonton Oilers assistant Wayne Fleming according to TSN. Here is more on Fleming.
The Lightning have also named Wayne Fleming assistant coach. He has more than 30 years of coaching experience, both internationally and at the NHL level. He served as an assistant to Pat Quinn in Edmonton last season.
Finally, in the last bit of small-time Lightning news, the team signed center Marc-Antoine Pouliot to a one-year, two-way contract.
It’s been a busy summer for the Lightning – and while I cannot really tell you much about the changes made in their coaching staff – I will say that I’ve generally been very impressed with the changes made in Tampa Bay. They might have a few more steps to take before they’re a true contender in the East, but a playoff berth is a distinct possibility in 10-11.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63