Jul 23, 2010, 2:26 PM EDT
Sometimes life is just not fair for some people. For Sami Salo, freakish injuries seem to find him somehow. During last season’s playoffs he, well, he took a puck in the most private of male areas and somehow came back to play in the next game. You’d have to figure that with it being the off-season he’d be able to avoid injury but then you’d be completely wrong.
The Vancouver Canucks have confirmed that defenceman Sami Salo suffered a torn Achilles tendon while training and is out indefinitely pending further evaluation.
In a brief statement this morning, the Canucks said “there will be no further comment from the club or Salo at this time.”
The story broke early today when a report out of Finland said Salo suffered the injury while playing floor hockey and will be out at least three months.
It might be high time we start packing Sami Salo up in bubble wrap once the season is over. Or once a game is over. Hell, just wrap him up during the game because, as Nucks Misconduct shows us he’s a bit fragile regardless of the circumstances. The other effect of this injury is the one it has on Kevin Bieksa’s status with the Canucks. As we’ve talked about before, he’s all but considered himself out of Vancouverr and teams like Anaheim and Columbus have been sniffing around at potential deals for the defenseman. Safe to say that Vancouver gets a reprieve from doing that in the meantime as Salo would likely start the season on the Long Term Injured Reserve knocking his salary off the books until he comes back.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)