Jul 23, 2010, 2:26 PM EDT
Sometimes life is just not fair for some people. For Sami Salo, freakish injuries seem to find him somehow. During last season’s playoffs he, well, he took a puck in the most private of male areas and somehow came back to play in the next game. You’d have to figure that with it being the off-season he’d be able to avoid injury but then you’d be completely wrong.
The Vancouver Canucks have confirmed that defenceman Sami Salo suffered a torn Achilles tendon while training and is out indefinitely pending further evaluation.
In a brief statement this morning, the Canucks said “there will be no further comment from the club or Salo at this time.”
The story broke early today when a report out of Finland said Salo suffered the injury while playing floor hockey and will be out at least three months.
It might be high time we start packing Sami Salo up in bubble wrap once the season is over. Or once a game is over. Hell, just wrap him up during the game because, as Nucks Misconduct shows us he’s a bit fragile regardless of the circumstances. The other effect of this injury is the one it has on Kevin Bieksa’s status with the Canucks. As we’ve talked about before, he’s all but considered himself out of Vancouverr and teams like Anaheim and Columbus have been sniffing around at potential deals for the defenseman. Safe to say that Vancouver gets a reprieve from doing that in the meantime as Salo would likely start the season on the Long Term Injured Reserve knocking his salary off the books until he comes back.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 55
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8