Jul 23, 2010, 2:26 PM EST
Sometimes life is just not fair for some people. For Sami Salo, freakish injuries seem to find him somehow. During last season’s playoffs he, well, he took a puck in the most private of male areas and somehow came back to play in the next game. You’d have to figure that with it being the off-season he’d be able to avoid injury but then you’d be completely wrong.
The Vancouver Canucks have confirmed that defenceman Sami Salo suffered a torn Achilles tendon while training and is out indefinitely pending further evaluation.
In a brief statement this morning, the Canucks said “there will be no further comment from the club or Salo at this time.”
The story broke early today when a report out of Finland said Salo suffered the injury while playing floor hockey and will be out at least three months.
It might be high time we start packing Sami Salo up in bubble wrap once the season is over. Or once a game is over. Hell, just wrap him up during the game because, as Nucks Misconduct shows us he’s a bit fragile regardless of the circumstances. The other effect of this injury is the one it has on Kevin Bieksa’s status with the Canucks. As we’ve talked about before, he’s all but considered himself out of Vancouverr and teams like Anaheim and Columbus have been sniffing around at potential deals for the defenseman. Safe to say that Vancouver gets a reprieve from doing that in the meantime as Salo would likely start the season on the Long Term Injured Reserve knocking his salary off the books until he comes back.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)