Jul 23, 2010, 2:26 PM EDT
Sometimes life is just not fair for some people. For Sami Salo, freakish injuries seem to find him somehow. During last season’s playoffs he, well, he took a puck in the most private of male areas and somehow came back to play in the next game. You’d have to figure that with it being the off-season he’d be able to avoid injury but then you’d be completely wrong.
The Vancouver Canucks have confirmed that defenceman Sami Salo suffered a torn Achilles tendon while training and is out indefinitely pending further evaluation.
In a brief statement this morning, the Canucks said “there will be no further comment from the club or Salo at this time.”
The story broke early today when a report out of Finland said Salo suffered the injury while playing floor hockey and will be out at least three months.
It might be high time we start packing Sami Salo up in bubble wrap once the season is over. Or once a game is over. Hell, just wrap him up during the game because, as Nucks Misconduct shows us he’s a bit fragile regardless of the circumstances. The other effect of this injury is the one it has on Kevin Bieksa’s status with the Canucks. As we’ve talked about before, he’s all but considered himself out of Vancouverr and teams like Anaheim and Columbus have been sniffing around at potential deals for the defenseman. Safe to say that Vancouver gets a reprieve from doing that in the meantime as Salo would likely start the season on the Long Term Injured Reserve knocking his salary off the books until he comes back.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)