Jul 23, 2010, 2:26 PM EDT
Sometimes life is just not fair for some people. For Sami Salo, freakish injuries seem to find him somehow. During last season’s playoffs he, well, he took a puck in the most private of male areas and somehow came back to play in the next game. You’d have to figure that with it being the off-season he’d be able to avoid injury but then you’d be completely wrong.
The Vancouver Canucks have confirmed that defenceman Sami Salo suffered a torn Achilles tendon while training and is out indefinitely pending further evaluation.
In a brief statement this morning, the Canucks said “there will be no further comment from the club or Salo at this time.”
The story broke early today when a report out of Finland said Salo suffered the injury while playing floor hockey and will be out at least three months.
It might be high time we start packing Sami Salo up in bubble wrap once the season is over. Or once a game is over. Hell, just wrap him up during the game because, as Nucks Misconduct shows us he’s a bit fragile regardless of the circumstances. The other effect of this injury is the one it has on Kevin Bieksa’s status with the Canucks. As we’ve talked about before, he’s all but considered himself out of Vancouverr and teams like Anaheim and Columbus have been sniffing around at potential deals for the defenseman. Safe to say that Vancouver gets a reprieve from doing that in the meantime as Salo would likely start the season on the Long Term Injured Reserve knocking his salary off the books until he comes back.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 3
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)