Jul 23, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT
Leave it to the Islanders to get caught in a stir in the media. When it’s not some rogue fan stirring up a hoax about a Rick DiPietro car accident, they’re stuck in a mess having to deal with MSG Network not renewing the contract of television color commentator Billy Jaffe. Chris Botta from Islanders Point Blank shares the news and give his thoughts on Jaffe.
Despite the Islanders finishing 30th and 26th in the league the last two seasons, I never saw anything but 100% positive analysis from Jaffe. In fact, no one more optimistically and studiously told the story of the slow and steady recall better than him. If there was a dispute between MSG and Jaffe, I would think the Islanders would push to keep one of their biggest public advocates. In addition, he was a regular volunteer for the Islanders at draft parties and on segments for Islanders TV.
Speaking as a guy who has done some very amateur work in the radio booth as a color commentator, remaining positive when things are down in the dumps is, indeed, very difficult to do at times. Considering Jaffe has been the Isles color man for four years makes him worthy of an award for perseverance through dire times.
Jaffe has also done work for Versus and ESPN in the past and considering that Versus doesn’t have their own army of broadcasters on staff (everyone in the booth for Versus has a “day job” with another team) perhaps having Jaffe on board to be the main color man for the network would make for a smooth move and one that’s good for PR as well.
Then again, I’m not a broadcasting executive, so what do I know?
Chris Botta gets to the bottom of things fast and shares the info via Twitter:
Multiple sources confirm: MSG had contract done for Billy Jaffe, Islanders shot it down. Reason: not positive enough.
That makes things look a lot more ugly on the Islanders behalf. That said, we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but this just doesn’t look great for the Islanders for letting a guy go for not being enough of a “company man” for their liking.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic