Jul 23, 2010, 10:05 AM EDT
I know we don’t exactly run a TMZ-like operation here and getting photos of hockey players at their wedding doesn’t really seem like news to many folks, but sometimes things are too entertaining to ignore. Case in point, the wedding of Red Wings star forward Henrik Zetterberg with Swedish television star Emma Andersson.The two are set to be married today in Molle, Sweden and yesterday, they kicked off the celebration in a manner that hasn’t been seen in nearly 100 years.
MLive.com’s George Malik has done all of us fans of hilariously entertaining and perhaps embarrassing photos a favor and a half by sorting through Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet’s extended coverage of what might be the biggest wedding Sweden has seen in years. His efforts reward us all with one of the single greatest wedding party photos that also doubles as a “Where’s Waldo?” from the 1920s trying to find some of the NHLs biggest stars (click photo to enlarge).
If you can, you can spot numerous Red Wings in there from Pavel Datsyuk, Niklas Lidstrom, Johan Franzen, Andreas Lilja, Niklas Kronwall to Canucks forward Mikael Samuelsson. Malik translates Aftonbladet to try and figure out why, exactly, it appears that everyone is gathered for a Snidley Whiplash convention.
It was a flying start for television personality Emma Andersson and hockey player Henrik Zetterberg’s three-day wedding celebration.
When the wedding guests arrived at the Grand Hotel in Molle shortly after 3 PM yesterday afternoon, they were served the drink “Wolf’s paw cocktail.”
But something else would make the day a really wet event.
And at once guests were ordered to go to their hotel rooms–to change.
They all had the same clothes, the old classic striped swimsuit and white robes.
Then the 120 guests were bused to the venue of the first Swedish communal baths, Ransvik, and everyone laughed out loud at the uniform dress code.
“It’s wonderful to be here and I look forward to the wedding,” said Pavel Datsyuk, Zata’s teammate on the Detroit Red Wings.
Judging by the photo, if you can spot him that is, Pavel Datsyuk appears to feel anything but fantastic. Then again, who amongst us wouldn’t feel even the slightest bit awkward wearing a gigantic striped swimsuit onesie.
If you’d like to see video of the event and even more photos, check out Aftonbladet’s website. As for the rest us, I don’t think we can thank George Malik enough for finding and translating this enough for us. If you needed proof as to the kind of sense of humor hockey players have, I don’t think you need to look any further than this.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 49
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 24
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 22
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (76)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)