Jul 23, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
The Panthers have decided to play some more executive office shuffleboard today and have cleared up the delegation of power amongst ownership. Today, the team announced that Cliff Viner becomes the General Partner, Chairman & CEO of the franchise.
Viner had occupied the role of Chairman and Co-General Partner with Stu Siegel since Nov. 2009, but Siegel will now return to his former role as Limited Partner, remain as Chairman of the Florida Panthers Foundation and assume the role of NHL Alternate Governor, while also focusing on other business opportunities.
“First of all I would like to thank Stu for his contributions in reshaping the business strategy of SSE during the recent transition period,” Viner said. “As Stu turns his focus to other business opportunities, I am confident that the decisions we have made over the last eight months have put us in position to reach our goals and achieve success. With General Manager Dale Tallon leading our franchise, and President & COO Michael Yormark at the helm of our business operations and entertainment offerings, I am extremely excited about the future of this organization.”
Since November 2009, Viner has led a major organizational shift that includes the hiring of renowned General Manager Dale Tallon, reengagement of the Panthers history through the Den of Honor and alumni involvement, a focus on “Accountability, Accessibility and Winning Culture”, and the unveiling of SSE’s Pledge and Contract With The Community.
With Dale Tallon now the general manager of the team, the shuffling of deck chairs on what was starting to resemble the Titanic might be complete and the ship might not actually sink. There’s intriguing youth on the Panthers with David Booth, Michael Frolik and Stephen Weiss. Add in Erik Gudbranson along the blue line and, hey look, there’s a useful, youthful core of players to build around. With Tallon’s smarts and eye for talent, perhaps the team from Sunrise, Florida is headed in the right direction.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)