Jul 23, 2010, 4:33 PM EDT
The Panthers have decided to play some more executive office shuffleboard today and have cleared up the delegation of power amongst ownership. Today, the team announced that Cliff Viner becomes the General Partner, Chairman & CEO of the franchise.
Viner had occupied the role of Chairman and Co-General Partner with Stu Siegel since Nov. 2009, but Siegel will now return to his former role as Limited Partner, remain as Chairman of the Florida Panthers Foundation and assume the role of NHL Alternate Governor, while also focusing on other business opportunities.
“First of all I would like to thank Stu for his contributions in reshaping the business strategy of SSE during the recent transition period,” Viner said. “As Stu turns his focus to other business opportunities, I am confident that the decisions we have made over the last eight months have put us in position to reach our goals and achieve success. With General Manager Dale Tallon leading our franchise, and President & COO Michael Yormark at the helm of our business operations and entertainment offerings, I am extremely excited about the future of this organization.”
Since November 2009, Viner has led a major organizational shift that includes the hiring of renowned General Manager Dale Tallon, reengagement of the Panthers history through the Den of Honor and alumni involvement, a focus on “Accountability, Accessibility and Winning Culture”, and the unveiling of SSE’s Pledge and Contract With The Community.
With Dale Tallon now the general manager of the team, the shuffling of deck chairs on what was starting to resemble the Titanic might be complete and the ship might not actually sink. There’s intriguing youth on the Panthers with David Booth, Michael Frolik and Stephen Weiss. Add in Erik Gudbranson along the blue line and, hey look, there’s a useful, youthful core of players to build around. With Tallon’s smarts and eye for talent, perhaps the team from Sunrise, Florida is headed in the right direction.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)