Jul 23, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
Let’s take a look at three restricted free agent contract talks in limbo at this point.
- Bobby Ryan’s agent says that he wants to stay in Anaheim and the Ducks want to keep him, too. From the sound of that talk, it comes down to finding a compromise on the term of the contract. Here is the story from Craig Custance of the Sporting News’ Grinder blog.
According to his agent, Mark Guy of Newport Sports Management, the sides haven’t had any recent discussions. But don’t read that as an invitation to spring an offer sheet on the power forward.
“Bobby wants to remain in Anaheim and they want him there,” Guy told Sporting News.
According to the Orange County Register, the Ducks have offered Ryan a five-year deal worth $25 million, but Ryan would prefer a shorter deal.
And the reality is, the Ducks would likely match any offer sheet given to Ryan. One GM in a similar position joked that he’d send a thank-you note to the team that negotiated a deal with his restricted free agent because it saved him the work. The Ducks are likely in that position, considering they have plenty of cap space ($15.5 million, according to capgeek.com).
I’ll be more specific about which team(s) should still target Ryan on Saturday, but I’m surprised that no one is sniffing around the talented American forward.
- The Dallas Stars have two restricted free agents in similar situations, with rock-solid defenseman Nicklas Grossman and budding power forward James Neal (in the photo above) both hoping for new deals. Stars beat writer Mike Heika reports that “there isn’t much to talk about” between Neal and Dallas – possibly because they’re aching for a comparable contract – but there has been a lot more progress in the Grossman negotiations.
Stars assistant GM Frank Provenzano and Meehan have been talking quite a bit about Grossman, but they had to take a break this week while the Stars prepared for the Fabian Brunnstrom arbitration case (which will be heard today in Toronto). Meehan said he fully expects to get back into talks next week.
I believe the Stars are shooting for about $2 million a year on Grossman.
Personally, I think that would be a great value for the blueline-challenged Stars. We’ll keep you up to date on the conversations about each of those three RFAs, as well as the other players looking for a team (old or new) this summer.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 33
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)