Jul 23, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Fabian Brunnstrom has, perhaps, come to his senses a bit. The Stars and Brunnstrom avoided going to arbitration today and came to an agreement on a one-year, one-way deal according to the Dallas Stars official Twitter feed.
Stars and Fabian Brunnstrom agree to terms prior to arbitration hearing this morning: $675,000 one-way contract. One-year deal.
The numbers of this deal are a bit surprising. Yesterday we examined Brunnstrom’s case and it appeared that the Stars could’ve been in a bit of trouble considering how much Brunnstrom made last year with his bonuses included (he made over $2 million despite having a base salary of $875,000). Brunnstrom taking $200,000 less than he made last year seems to speak more to him wanting to keep an NHL job rather than go through a potentially embarassing hearing. The guys at Defending Big D took a bit more joy in Brunnstrom’s new deal.
Yeah, I’m just going to go ahead and say that either Bunny or his agent came to their senses and didn’t want to risk uncontrolled laughter from the arbiter when they were going to make the case that Brunnstrom deserved a raise.
Anyway, it’s nice to know that Joe Nieuwendyk has an additional $200,000 in budget space to work with.
Dallas wasn’t exactly hurting for cap space as it was, but yes, any spare funds are a good thing. Next up for the Stars, getting Niklas Grossman and James Neal squared away with contracts.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)