Jul 23, 2010, 10:22 AM EST
Fabian Brunnstrom has, perhaps, come to his senses a bit. The Stars and Brunnstrom avoided going to arbitration today and came to an agreement on a one-year, one-way deal according to the Dallas Stars official Twitter feed.
Stars and Fabian Brunnstrom agree to terms prior to arbitration hearing this morning: $675,000 one-way contract. One-year deal.
The numbers of this deal are a bit surprising. Yesterday we examined Brunnstrom’s case and it appeared that the Stars could’ve been in a bit of trouble considering how much Brunnstrom made last year with his bonuses included (he made over $2 million despite having a base salary of $875,000). Brunnstrom taking $200,000 less than he made last year seems to speak more to him wanting to keep an NHL job rather than go through a potentially embarassing hearing. The guys at Defending Big D took a bit more joy in Brunnstrom’s new deal.
Yeah, I’m just going to go ahead and say that either Bunny or his agent came to their senses and didn’t want to risk uncontrolled laughter from the arbiter when they were going to make the case that Brunnstrom deserved a raise.
Anyway, it’s nice to know that Joe Nieuwendyk has an additional $200,000 in budget space to work with.
Dallas wasn’t exactly hurting for cap space as it was, but yes, any spare funds are a good thing. Next up for the Stars, getting Niklas Grossman and James Neal squared away with contracts.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)