Jul 23, 2010, 10:22 AM EDT
Fabian Brunnstrom has, perhaps, come to his senses a bit. The Stars and Brunnstrom avoided going to arbitration today and came to an agreement on a one-year, one-way deal according to the Dallas Stars official Twitter feed.
Stars and Fabian Brunnstrom agree to terms prior to arbitration hearing this morning: $675,000 one-way contract. One-year deal.
The numbers of this deal are a bit surprising. Yesterday we examined Brunnstrom’s case and it appeared that the Stars could’ve been in a bit of trouble considering how much Brunnstrom made last year with his bonuses included (he made over $2 million despite having a base salary of $875,000). Brunnstrom taking $200,000 less than he made last year seems to speak more to him wanting to keep an NHL job rather than go through a potentially embarassing hearing. The guys at Defending Big D took a bit more joy in Brunnstrom’s new deal.
Yeah, I’m just going to go ahead and say that either Bunny or his agent came to their senses and didn’t want to risk uncontrolled laughter from the arbiter when they were going to make the case that Brunnstrom deserved a raise.
Anyway, it’s nice to know that Joe Nieuwendyk has an additional $200,000 in budget space to work with.
Dallas wasn’t exactly hurting for cap space as it was, but yes, any spare funds are a good thing. Next up for the Stars, getting Niklas Grossman and James Neal squared away with contracts.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)