Jul 23, 2010, 10:22 AM EST
Fabian Brunnstrom has, perhaps, come to his senses a bit. The Stars and Brunnstrom avoided going to arbitration today and came to an agreement on a one-year, one-way deal according to the Dallas Stars official Twitter feed.
Stars and Fabian Brunnstrom agree to terms prior to arbitration hearing this morning: $675,000 one-way contract. One-year deal.
The numbers of this deal are a bit surprising. Yesterday we examined Brunnstrom’s case and it appeared that the Stars could’ve been in a bit of trouble considering how much Brunnstrom made last year with his bonuses included (he made over $2 million despite having a base salary of $875,000). Brunnstrom taking $200,000 less than he made last year seems to speak more to him wanting to keep an NHL job rather than go through a potentially embarassing hearing. The guys at Defending Big D took a bit more joy in Brunnstrom’s new deal.
Yeah, I’m just going to go ahead and say that either Bunny or his agent came to their senses and didn’t want to risk uncontrolled laughter from the arbiter when they were going to make the case that Brunnstrom deserved a raise.
Anyway, it’s nice to know that Joe Nieuwendyk has an additional $200,000 in budget space to work with.
Dallas wasn’t exactly hurting for cap space as it was, but yes, any spare funds are a good thing. Next up for the Stars, getting Niklas Grossman and James Neal squared away with contracts.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)