Jul 22, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
We’ve covered most of the theories, options and details of the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection, but it appears that there are a few more tidbits floating around.
Lyle “Spector” Richardson had a roundup of some of the Kovalchuk news today. There are two items that caught my eye.
Here is the first one, told by Richardson via Mark Everson of the New York Post:
Mark Everson reports the Devils went ahead with the press conference formally announcing their signing of Ilya Kovalchuk even though they knew the deal would be rejected in order to “seal their position and set in motion the chain of events which will likely lead to arbitration”, which could force the league to accept the deal. It also doesn’t seem likely that circumvention penalties will be levied against Kovalchuk or the Devils. The PA has five business days, starting yesterday, to file a grievance.
Richardson adds that it’s unlikely that Lamoriello will re-work the contract at this point, leaving it to Kovalchuk and the NHL Players Association.
One thing that’s surfaced is that the league doesn’t appear to have an arbiter selected right now. That could make this drag on for weeks, according to sources including Richardson.
It’s been suggested the fact there’s currently no arbiter in place to hear this case could tie things up for weeks which could force Kovalchuk and the Devils to either rework the deal or force him back into the UFA market. That’s possible but we won’t know for sure how long it’ll take to get an arbiter in place and to arrange a date for a hearing. Kovalchuk, Lamoriello and the PA might be willing to go that route and be patient if they’re confident of winning this one. For now, we wait and see how this unfolds.
Although it’s been noted that the Los Angeles Kings may be interested in re-entering the Kovalchuk sweepstakes, I think they’d be better off going in a different direction. Chances are, they won’t have much of a choice.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 2
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)