Jul 22, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
We’ve covered most of the theories, options and details of the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection, but it appears that there are a few more tidbits floating around.
Lyle “Spector” Richardson had a roundup of some of the Kovalchuk news today. There are two items that caught my eye.
Here is the first one, told by Richardson via Mark Everson of the New York Post:
Mark Everson reports the Devils went ahead with the press conference formally announcing their signing of Ilya Kovalchuk even though they knew the deal would be rejected in order to “seal their position and set in motion the chain of events which will likely lead to arbitration”, which could force the league to accept the deal. It also doesn’t seem likely that circumvention penalties will be levied against Kovalchuk or the Devils. The PA has five business days, starting yesterday, to file a grievance.
Richardson adds that it’s unlikely that Lamoriello will re-work the contract at this point, leaving it to Kovalchuk and the NHL Players Association.
One thing that’s surfaced is that the league doesn’t appear to have an arbiter selected right now. That could make this drag on for weeks, according to sources including Richardson.
It’s been suggested the fact there’s currently no arbiter in place to hear this case could tie things up for weeks which could force Kovalchuk and the Devils to either rework the deal or force him back into the UFA market. That’s possible but we won’t know for sure how long it’ll take to get an arbiter in place and to arrange a date for a hearing. Kovalchuk, Lamoriello and the PA might be willing to go that route and be patient if they’re confident of winning this one. For now, we wait and see how this unfolds.
Although it’s been noted that the Los Angeles Kings may be interested in re-entering the Kovalchuk sweepstakes, I think they’d be better off going in a different direction. Chances are, they won’t have much of a choice.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 21
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)