Jul 22, 2010, 11:30 PM EDT
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Kings would be interested in pursuing Kovalchuk again – I really doubt that Kovalchuk will be an unrestricted free agent … ever again, really.
Flyers re-sign Daroll Powe – Apparently they couldn’t live without the power of Powe.
Henrik Zetterberg to get married – Informal poll: which lifetime commitment will work out better, his lengthy deal to stay in Detroit or his marriage? Hormonally rabid hockey females may hope it’s the former.
Thrashers re-sign Ondrej Pavelec – I imagine Josh Harding’s contract ended up being the model for this one. The Thrashers could have a nice 1a-1b rotation with Pavelec and Chris Mason.
The curious salary arbitration case of Fabian Brunnstrom – (Waits for Dallas Stars fans to stop rolling their eyes.)
Jeremy Yablonski signs with NY Islanders – My guess is he became a fearsome fighter after a lot of “jabronie” jokes. (For some reason, his last name always makes me think of The Rock’s favorite term of non-endearment.)
US Hockey HOF welcomes Jeremy Roenick, Hatcher brothers – Kevin Hatcher’s not quite the Frank Stallone of the Hatcher brothers, but he might be Donnie Wahlberg.
Blackhawks trade Marty Reasoner to Florida for Jeff Taffe, cap space – I’m not sure which player has the better obnoxious pun-last name: Reasoner (“That’s pretty Reasoner-ble”) or Jeff “Laffy” Taffe.
Lightning might go after Aaron Asham – He’s a bruiser who can play a little bit, which seems pretty important to Tampa Bay’s front office.
Small signings ahoy – Followed by Chips Ahoy?
Wacky goal celebrations (video) – Does that Theo Fleury one ever get old?
Islanders deny Rick Dipietro car accident rumor – When you look for class acts, you must first search for people who prank call radio stations.
Official 2011 Winter Classic press conference set for Tuesday – New Year’s day really isn’t as far away as you’d think.
Ducks may try to trade for Vancouver’s Kevin Bieksa – The Canucks are clearly struggling from a salary cap perspective, so Anaheim might be able to get him for a reasonable price.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)