Jul 22, 2010, 11:30 PM EST
Even in the depressingly hockey-free summer, we expect to be a productive bunch here at Pro Hockey Talk. Sometimes it might be difficult to follow our pace. We understand that. For that reason, whenever we can, we’ll put all of the day’s stories in one convenient post called the PHT Nightcap. Enjoy, hockey fans.
Kings would be interested in pursuing Kovalchuk again – I really doubt that Kovalchuk will be an unrestricted free agent … ever again, really.
Flyers re-sign Daroll Powe – Apparently they couldn’t live without the power of Powe.
Henrik Zetterberg to get married – Informal poll: which lifetime commitment will work out better, his lengthy deal to stay in Detroit or his marriage? Hormonally rabid hockey females may hope it’s the former.
Thrashers re-sign Ondrej Pavelec – I imagine Josh Harding’s contract ended up being the model for this one. The Thrashers could have a nice 1a-1b rotation with Pavelec and Chris Mason.
The curious salary arbitration case of Fabian Brunnstrom – (Waits for Dallas Stars fans to stop rolling their eyes.)
Jeremy Yablonski signs with NY Islanders – My guess is he became a fearsome fighter after a lot of “jabronie” jokes. (For some reason, his last name always makes me think of The Rock’s favorite term of non-endearment.)
US Hockey HOF welcomes Jeremy Roenick, Hatcher brothers – Kevin Hatcher’s not quite the Frank Stallone of the Hatcher brothers, but he might be Donnie Wahlberg.
Blackhawks trade Marty Reasoner to Florida for Jeff Taffe, cap space – I’m not sure which player has the better obnoxious pun-last name: Reasoner (“That’s pretty Reasoner-ble”) or Jeff “Laffy” Taffe.
Lightning might go after Aaron Asham – He’s a bruiser who can play a little bit, which seems pretty important to Tampa Bay’s front office.
Small signings ahoy – Followed by Chips Ahoy?
Wacky goal celebrations (video) – Does that Theo Fleury one ever get old?
Islanders deny Rick Dipietro car accident rumor – When you look for class acts, you must first search for people who prank call radio stations.
Official 2011 Winter Classic press conference set for Tuesday – New Year’s day really isn’t as far away as you’d think.
Ducks may try to trade for Vancouver’s Kevin Bieksa – The Canucks are clearly struggling from a salary cap perspective, so Anaheim might be able to get him for a reasonable price.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 20
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5