Jul 22, 2010, 4:16 PM EST
Today’s big winner in salary arbitration is none other than Vancouver Canucks forward Jannik Hansen. Jim Jamieson from The White Towel gives us the low down.
The spare-part winger was awarded a contract for $825,000 in salary arbitration Thursday, a healthy raise of $275,000 from his $550,000 salary last season.
The contract is for one year and is a one-way deal, which means Hansen makes the same salary whether he plays in the NHL or the minors.
The contract will bring their cap number to $60,583,000 and $1,183,333 over the salary cap upper limit of $59.4 million. The Canucks, even if they wanted to, could not walk away from the award because it is below the $1.6 million threshold for such an action.
Hansen’s salary is a $250,000 raise on what he made last year with the Canucks and while it’s not exactly a crushing amount the Canucks are hard up against the cap and await an even more punishing salary decision with forward Mason Raymond who is looking at a substantial raise from his old salary of $900,000.
Expect the Canucks to find a way to make a deal to shed salary by sending Kevin Bieksa out of town. Bieksa makes $3.75 million dollars which would be about the right amount to help clear cap space for both Hansen’s new contract and Raymond’s soon-to-arrive deal.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)