Jul 22, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
Today’s big winner in salary arbitration is none other than Vancouver Canucks forward Jannik Hansen. Jim Jamieson from The White Towel gives us the low down.
The spare-part winger was awarded a contract for $825,000 in salary arbitration Thursday, a healthy raise of $275,000 from his $550,000 salary last season.
The contract is for one year and is a one-way deal, which means Hansen makes the same salary whether he plays in the NHL or the minors.
The contract will bring their cap number to $60,583,000 and $1,183,333 over the salary cap upper limit of $59.4 million. The Canucks, even if they wanted to, could not walk away from the award because it is below the $1.6 million threshold for such an action.
Hansen’s salary is a $250,000 raise on what he made last year with the Canucks and while it’s not exactly a crushing amount the Canucks are hard up against the cap and await an even more punishing salary decision with forward Mason Raymond who is looking at a substantial raise from his old salary of $900,000.
Expect the Canucks to find a way to make a deal to shed salary by sending Kevin Bieksa out of town. Bieksa makes $3.75 million dollars which would be about the right amount to help clear cap space for both Hansen’s new contract and Raymond’s soon-to-arrive deal.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)