Jul 22, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
Today’s big winner in salary arbitration is none other than Vancouver Canucks forward Jannik Hansen. Jim Jamieson from The White Towel gives us the low down.
The spare-part winger was awarded a contract for $825,000 in salary arbitration Thursday, a healthy raise of $275,000 from his $550,000 salary last season.
The contract is for one year and is a one-way deal, which means Hansen makes the same salary whether he plays in the NHL or the minors.
The contract will bring their cap number to $60,583,000 and $1,183,333 over the salary cap upper limit of $59.4 million. The Canucks, even if they wanted to, could not walk away from the award because it is below the $1.6 million threshold for such an action.
Hansen’s salary is a $250,000 raise on what he made last year with the Canucks and while it’s not exactly a crushing amount the Canucks are hard up against the cap and await an even more punishing salary decision with forward Mason Raymond who is looking at a substantial raise from his old salary of $900,000.
Expect the Canucks to find a way to make a deal to shed salary by sending Kevin Bieksa out of town. Bieksa makes $3.75 million dollars which would be about the right amount to help clear cap space for both Hansen’s new contract and Raymond’s soon-to-arrive deal.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)