Jul 22, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
Today’s big winner in salary arbitration is none other than Vancouver Canucks forward Jannik Hansen. Jim Jamieson from The White Towel gives us the low down.
The spare-part winger was awarded a contract for $825,000 in salary arbitration Thursday, a healthy raise of $275,000 from his $550,000 salary last season.
The contract is for one year and is a one-way deal, which means Hansen makes the same salary whether he plays in the NHL or the minors.
The contract will bring their cap number to $60,583,000 and $1,183,333 over the salary cap upper limit of $59.4 million. The Canucks, even if they wanted to, could not walk away from the award because it is below the $1.6 million threshold for such an action.
Hansen’s salary is a $250,000 raise on what he made last year with the Canucks and while it’s not exactly a crushing amount the Canucks are hard up against the cap and await an even more punishing salary decision with forward Mason Raymond who is looking at a substantial raise from his old salary of $900,000.
Expect the Canucks to find a way to make a deal to shed salary by sending Kevin Bieksa out of town. Bieksa makes $3.75 million dollars which would be about the right amount to help clear cap space for both Hansen’s new contract and Raymond’s soon-to-arrive deal.
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 0
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming