Jul 22, 2010, 9:00 PM EST
Some might call Rick Dipietro’s trend-setting “lifetime” contract (and his many injuries) a cruel joke. Yet that doesn’t really excuse what seems like a prank call about the goalie’s health from taking place.
TSN reports that the New York Islanders had to “shoot down” a rumor about the struggling goalie being in a car accident today. Apparently the story was created via a radio caller and built up momentum on Twitter.
The New York Islanders have shot down a rumour that goaltender Rick DiPietro suffered a broken shoulder and pelvis in a car accident, stating that the report was a complete fabrication.
The alleged car crash was initially reported by an anonymous caller on 1050 ESPN radio in New York and quickly gathered steam via Twitter, with some reports stating that DiPietro had passed away.
Newsday is reporting that Islanders general manager Garth Snow has talked to DiPietro and the 28-year old netminder said that he was fine.
It’s unclear if Dipietro will ever completely recover from the knee problems that plagued his last few seasons, but either way, he doesn’t deserve this kind of treatment.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)