Jul 22, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
Some might call Rick Dipietro’s trend-setting “lifetime” contract (and his many injuries) a cruel joke. Yet that doesn’t really excuse what seems like a prank call about the goalie’s health from taking place.
TSN reports that the New York Islanders had to “shoot down” a rumor about the struggling goalie being in a car accident today. Apparently the story was created via a radio caller and built up momentum on Twitter.
The New York Islanders have shot down a rumour that goaltender Rick DiPietro suffered a broken shoulder and pelvis in a car accident, stating that the report was a complete fabrication.
The alleged car crash was initially reported by an anonymous caller on 1050 ESPN radio in New York and quickly gathered steam via Twitter, with some reports stating that DiPietro had passed away.
Newsday is reporting that Islanders general manager Garth Snow has talked to DiPietro and the 28-year old netminder said that he was fine.
It’s unclear if Dipietro will ever completely recover from the knee problems that plagued his last few seasons, but either way, he doesn’t deserve this kind of treatment.
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 0
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 46
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL