Jul 22, 2010, 9:00 PM EST
Some might call Rick Dipietro’s trend-setting “lifetime” contract (and his many injuries) a cruel joke. Yet that doesn’t really excuse what seems like a prank call about the goalie’s health from taking place.
TSN reports that the New York Islanders had to “shoot down” a rumor about the struggling goalie being in a car accident today. Apparently the story was created via a radio caller and built up momentum on Twitter.
The New York Islanders have shot down a rumour that goaltender Rick DiPietro suffered a broken shoulder and pelvis in a car accident, stating that the report was a complete fabrication.
The alleged car crash was initially reported by an anonymous caller on 1050 ESPN radio in New York and quickly gathered steam via Twitter, with some reports stating that DiPietro had passed away.
Newsday is reporting that Islanders general manager Garth Snow has talked to DiPietro and the 28-year old netminder said that he was fine.
It’s unclear if Dipietro will ever completely recover from the knee problems that plagued his last few seasons, but either way, he doesn’t deserve this kind of treatment.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)