Jul 22, 2010, 9:00 PM EDT
Some might call Rick Dipietro’s trend-setting “lifetime” contract (and his many injuries) a cruel joke. Yet that doesn’t really excuse what seems like a prank call about the goalie’s health from taking place.
TSN reports that the New York Islanders had to “shoot down” a rumor about the struggling goalie being in a car accident today. Apparently the story was created via a radio caller and built up momentum on Twitter.
The New York Islanders have shot down a rumour that goaltender Rick DiPietro suffered a broken shoulder and pelvis in a car accident, stating that the report was a complete fabrication.
The alleged car crash was initially reported by an anonymous caller on 1050 ESPN radio in New York and quickly gathered steam via Twitter, with some reports stating that DiPietro had passed away.
Newsday is reporting that Islanders general manager Garth Snow has talked to DiPietro and the 28-year old netminder said that he was fine.
It’s unclear if Dipietro will ever completely recover from the knee problems that plagued his last few seasons, but either way, he doesn’t deserve this kind of treatment.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)