Jul 22, 2010, 2:41 PM EDT
Leave it to the New York Islanders to make a baffling yet potentially highly entertaining move. The Islanders signed a soon-to-be Bridgeport Sound Tiger Jeremy Yablonski to a one-year two-way deal. You, the good fans that you are, are now likely asking, “Who is Jeremy Yablonski and why do I care?”
For a scouting report, one-time prospect turned blogger Justin Bourne, son of former Islanders great Bob Bourne, gave a first-hand scouting report of Yablonski on Twitter.
Signing guys like Boogaard/Yablonski will be considered stone-age real soon. Waste of a roster spot. Sure Yabo is a 2-way, but man…
Was in Utah when Yabo was in Idaho. He left rink in painted-on tee, cage fought a yr later. Cannot actually “play hockey” unfortunately.
In 07 I lined up beside Yablonski, his stick at waist height. “Not even gonna put that on the ice, huh?” *puck drops* WHACK! What an athlete
All right, so Yablonski has a bit of a rough and tumble reputation. What do his stats tell us though? Pretty much the same thing.
Last year with the AHL Binghamton Senators, Yablonski played 27 games, scored one goal and racked up 128 penalty minutes, which is good for an average of 4.74 penalty minutes per game. Yikes. Islanders Point Blank’s Chris Botta too found the signing curious and oddly helpful as well.
The kids at both Bridgeport and New York need someone to have their backs. (The great Mike Fornabaio of the CT Post tweeted that the lack of toughness was “no laughing matter” in Bridgeport. If the Islanders are not ready to contend on the ice, it doesn’t hurt to win the occasional fight (“this guy throws bombs” tweeted Jeff Marek of the CBC about Yablonski). Whatever small wage the Islanders are paying Yablonski, he’s worth it.
This is probably more virtual ink than Yablonski has gotten in his career, but there’s a role for everyone in hockey, even a guy whose only talent seems to be beating the opponent’s face in. He does seem to be pretty good at that after all, not every hockey player gets invited to participate in Mixed Martial Arts after all.
Click here for a fight between Jeremy Yablonski and his potential future teammate Trevor Gillies.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)