Jul 22, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
While it won’t go down as a blockbuster trade by any means, the implications of it could be far-reaching for the Chicago Blackhawks. The Hawks traded recently-acquired center Marty Reasoner to the Florida Panthers for centerman Jeff Taffe and the biggest acquisition of them all for Chicago from this deal will be salary cap space.
According to the money geniuses at CapGeek, the Blackhawks are now under the cap by $138,000 after shedding Reasoner’s $1.15 million salary and picking up Jeff Taffe’s easily demoted $550,000 contract. The Hawks are still waiting for deals to be finalized with defenseman Jordan Hendry and forward Brian Bickell. Centerman Jack Skille is already squared away with a contract but the big one that remains is restricted free agent Antti Niemi. Whether he signs before his arbitration case is heard on July 29th or not remains to be seen.
One thing that is clear after this minor trade is that the Blackhawks are preparing to scrimp and save as much as they can to avoid having to potentially trade anyone else who would be vital to keeping the Blackhawks in contention next year.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 57
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 27
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15