Jul 22, 2010, 3:31 PM EST
While it won’t go down as a blockbuster trade by any means, the implications of it could be far-reaching for the Chicago Blackhawks. The Hawks traded recently-acquired center Marty Reasoner to the Florida Panthers for centerman Jeff Taffe and the biggest acquisition of them all for Chicago from this deal will be salary cap space.
According to the money geniuses at CapGeek, the Blackhawks are now under the cap by $138,000 after shedding Reasoner’s $1.15 million salary and picking up Jeff Taffe’s easily demoted $550,000 contract. The Hawks are still waiting for deals to be finalized with defenseman Jordan Hendry and forward Brian Bickell. Centerman Jack Skille is already squared away with a contract but the big one that remains is restricted free agent Antti Niemi. Whether he signs before his arbitration case is heard on July 29th or not remains to be seen.
One thing that is clear after this minor trade is that the Blackhawks are preparing to scrimp and save as much as they can to avoid having to potentially trade anyone else who would be vital to keeping the Blackhawks in contention next year.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 7
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 2
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 10
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 8
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 26
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4