Jul 22, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
While it won’t go down as a blockbuster trade by any means, the implications of it could be far-reaching for the Chicago Blackhawks. The Hawks traded recently-acquired center Marty Reasoner to the Florida Panthers for centerman Jeff Taffe and the biggest acquisition of them all for Chicago from this deal will be salary cap space.
According to the money geniuses at CapGeek, the Blackhawks are now under the cap by $138,000 after shedding Reasoner’s $1.15 million salary and picking up Jeff Taffe’s easily demoted $550,000 contract. The Hawks are still waiting for deals to be finalized with defenseman Jordan Hendry and forward Brian Bickell. Centerman Jack Skille is already squared away with a contract but the big one that remains is restricted free agent Antti Niemi. Whether he signs before his arbitration case is heard on July 29th or not remains to be seen.
One thing that is clear after this minor trade is that the Blackhawks are preparing to scrimp and save as much as they can to avoid having to potentially trade anyone else who would be vital to keeping the Blackhawks in contention next year.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 31
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)