Jul 22, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT
While it won’t go down as a blockbuster trade by any means, the implications of it could be far-reaching for the Chicago Blackhawks. The Hawks traded recently-acquired center Marty Reasoner to the Florida Panthers for centerman Jeff Taffe and the biggest acquisition of them all for Chicago from this deal will be salary cap space.
According to the money geniuses at CapGeek, the Blackhawks are now under the cap by $138,000 after shedding Reasoner’s $1.15 million salary and picking up Jeff Taffe’s easily demoted $550,000 contract. The Hawks are still waiting for deals to be finalized with defenseman Jordan Hendry and forward Brian Bickell. Centerman Jack Skille is already squared away with a contract but the big one that remains is restricted free agent Antti Niemi. Whether he signs before his arbitration case is heard on July 29th or not remains to be seen.
One thing that is clear after this minor trade is that the Blackhawks are preparing to scrimp and save as much as they can to avoid having to potentially trade anyone else who would be vital to keeping the Blackhawks in contention next year.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 13
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)