Jul 22, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
The Atlanta Thrashers have locked down their goaltending for next season. After signing former Blues goalie Chris Mason earlier in this free agency period, they’ve announced today that they’ve re-signed incumbent starter Ondrej Pavelec. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the details.
Ondrej Pavelec has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the Thrashers. Pavelec was quoted on a Website in the Czech Republic about the deal and his agent, Allan Walsh, confirmed the agreement this morning via Twitter.
No deal has been signed yet, but the terms have been agreed to. According to the report the total deal is worth $2.3 million.
“This corresponds to my performance. I’m quite happy it turned out according to my expectations,” Pavelec told the Website iDNES.cz.
For the Thrashers, having two good goaltenders in the mix is a great thing. With the way the roster has been altered in the off-season by adding so many players from the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, making sure you’ve got goaltending you can count on is a huge weight off the shoulders of new head coach Craig Ramsay.
Pavelec was at one point viewed as the goalie of the Thrashers future and after the team traded Kari Lehtonen last year, it seemed like that would be the case. Now with the addition of Mason, it appears a two-headed attack in goal will be the way the Thrashers will go in the meantime. Keep in mind, Pavelec is just 22 years-old and having a steadier goalie like Chris Mason to show him some of the tricks of the trade will only be a benefit.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)