Jul 22, 2010, 11:20 AM EST
The Atlanta Thrashers have locked down their goaltending for next season. After signing former Blues goalie Chris Mason earlier in this free agency period, they’ve announced today that they’ve re-signed incumbent starter Ondrej Pavelec. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the details.
Ondrej Pavelec has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the Thrashers. Pavelec was quoted on a Website in the Czech Republic about the deal and his agent, Allan Walsh, confirmed the agreement this morning via Twitter.
No deal has been signed yet, but the terms have been agreed to. According to the report the total deal is worth $2.3 million.
“This corresponds to my performance. I’m quite happy it turned out according to my expectations,” Pavelec told the Website iDNES.cz.
For the Thrashers, having two good goaltenders in the mix is a great thing. With the way the roster has been altered in the off-season by adding so many players from the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, making sure you’ve got goaltending you can count on is a huge weight off the shoulders of new head coach Craig Ramsay.
Pavelec was at one point viewed as the goalie of the Thrashers future and after the team traded Kari Lehtonen last year, it seemed like that would be the case. Now with the addition of Mason, it appears a two-headed attack in goal will be the way the Thrashers will go in the meantime. Keep in mind, Pavelec is just 22 years-old and having a steadier goalie like Chris Mason to show him some of the tricks of the trade will only be a benefit.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)