Jul 22, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
The Atlanta Thrashers have locked down their goaltending for next season. After signing former Blues goalie Chris Mason earlier in this free agency period, they’ve announced today that they’ve re-signed incumbent starter Ondrej Pavelec. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the details.
Ondrej Pavelec has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the Thrashers. Pavelec was quoted on a Website in the Czech Republic about the deal and his agent, Allan Walsh, confirmed the agreement this morning via Twitter.
No deal has been signed yet, but the terms have been agreed to. According to the report the total deal is worth $2.3 million.
“This corresponds to my performance. I’m quite happy it turned out according to my expectations,” Pavelec told the Website iDNES.cz.
For the Thrashers, having two good goaltenders in the mix is a great thing. With the way the roster has been altered in the off-season by adding so many players from the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, making sure you’ve got goaltending you can count on is a huge weight off the shoulders of new head coach Craig Ramsay.
Pavelec was at one point viewed as the goalie of the Thrashers future and after the team traded Kari Lehtonen last year, it seemed like that would be the case. Now with the addition of Mason, it appears a two-headed attack in goal will be the way the Thrashers will go in the meantime. Keep in mind, Pavelec is just 22 years-old and having a steadier goalie like Chris Mason to show him some of the tricks of the trade will only be a benefit.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)