Jul 22, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT
The Atlanta Thrashers have locked down their goaltending for next season. After signing former Blues goalie Chris Mason earlier in this free agency period, they’ve announced today that they’ve re-signed incumbent starter Ondrej Pavelec. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal Constitution has the details.
Ondrej Pavelec has agreed to terms on a two-year contract with the Thrashers. Pavelec was quoted on a Website in the Czech Republic about the deal and his agent, Allan Walsh, confirmed the agreement this morning via Twitter.
No deal has been signed yet, but the terms have been agreed to. According to the report the total deal is worth $2.3 million.
“This corresponds to my performance. I’m quite happy it turned out according to my expectations,” Pavelec told the Website iDNES.cz.
For the Thrashers, having two good goaltenders in the mix is a great thing. With the way the roster has been altered in the off-season by adding so many players from the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, making sure you’ve got goaltending you can count on is a huge weight off the shoulders of new head coach Craig Ramsay.
Pavelec was at one point viewed as the goalie of the Thrashers future and after the team traded Kari Lehtonen last year, it seemed like that would be the case. Now with the addition of Mason, it appears a two-headed attack in goal will be the way the Thrashers will go in the meantime. Keep in mind, Pavelec is just 22 years-old and having a steadier goalie like Chris Mason to show him some of the tricks of the trade will only be a benefit.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)