Jul 22, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
You can scratch another name off of the restricted free agent list this summer as, according to Cap Geek, the Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed checking center Darroll Powe for one year and $725,000. Powe’s role with the team will become a bit more important at the start of the season thanks to news that Blair Betts rehab could slow his recovery coming off of shoulder surgery.
Though the Flyers have an overabundance of depth at center, Blair Betts’ rehabilitation from shoulder surgery could clear a spot for Powe on the roster. Betts told Comcast SportsNet on Tuesday he could be four months away from re-joining the team, which would put his return sometime in late November.
Fortunately for the Flyers, Powe and Betts’ role on the team are very similar. Both guys are checking forwards that play center and both guys play a gritty and pesky brand of hockey. Powe spent a good amount of time killing penalties for the Flyers last year and he’s instrumental to their success in doing that. One thing the former Princeton Tiger won’t do, however, is score very much. In 63 games last year he scored six goals and had nine assists.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)