Jul 22, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
You can scratch another name off of the restricted free agent list this summer as, according to Cap Geek, the Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed checking center Darroll Powe for one year and $725,000. Powe’s role with the team will become a bit more important at the start of the season thanks to news that Blair Betts rehab could slow his recovery coming off of shoulder surgery.
Though the Flyers have an overabundance of depth at center, Blair Betts’ rehabilitation from shoulder surgery could clear a spot for Powe on the roster. Betts told Comcast SportsNet on Tuesday he could be four months away from re-joining the team, which would put his return sometime in late November.
Fortunately for the Flyers, Powe and Betts’ role on the team are very similar. Both guys are checking forwards that play center and both guys play a gritty and pesky brand of hockey. Powe spent a good amount of time killing penalties for the Flyers last year and he’s instrumental to their success in doing that. One thing the former Princeton Tiger won’t do, however, is score very much. In 63 games last year he scored six goals and had nine assists.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 11
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 12
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5