Jul 22, 2010, 9:45 AM EST
You can scratch another name off of the restricted free agent list this summer as, according to Cap Geek, the Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed checking center Darroll Powe for one year and $725,000. Powe’s role with the team will become a bit more important at the start of the season thanks to news that Blair Betts rehab could slow his recovery coming off of shoulder surgery.
Though the Flyers have an overabundance of depth at center, Blair Betts’ rehabilitation from shoulder surgery could clear a spot for Powe on the roster. Betts told Comcast SportsNet on Tuesday he could be four months away from re-joining the team, which would put his return sometime in late November.
Fortunately for the Flyers, Powe and Betts’ role on the team are very similar. Both guys are checking forwards that play center and both guys play a gritty and pesky brand of hockey. Powe spent a good amount of time killing penalties for the Flyers last year and he’s instrumental to their success in doing that. One thing the former Princeton Tiger won’t do, however, is score very much. In 63 games last year he scored six goals and had nine assists.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 52
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 82
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (82)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)