Jul 22, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
You can scratch another name off of the restricted free agent list this summer as, according to Cap Geek, the Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed checking center Darroll Powe for one year and $725,000. Powe’s role with the team will become a bit more important at the start of the season thanks to news that Blair Betts rehab could slow his recovery coming off of shoulder surgery.
Though the Flyers have an overabundance of depth at center, Blair Betts’ rehabilitation from shoulder surgery could clear a spot for Powe on the roster. Betts told Comcast SportsNet on Tuesday he could be four months away from re-joining the team, which would put his return sometime in late November.
Fortunately for the Flyers, Powe and Betts’ role on the team are very similar. Both guys are checking forwards that play center and both guys play a gritty and pesky brand of hockey. Powe spent a good amount of time killing penalties for the Flyers last year and he’s instrumental to their success in doing that. One thing the former Princeton Tiger won’t do, however, is score very much. In 63 games last year he scored six goals and had nine assists.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 16
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 44
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control