Jul 22, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
You can scratch another name off of the restricted free agent list this summer as, according to Cap Geek, the Philadelphia Flyers have re-signed checking center Darroll Powe for one year and $725,000. Powe’s role with the team will become a bit more important at the start of the season thanks to news that Blair Betts rehab could slow his recovery coming off of shoulder surgery.
Though the Flyers have an overabundance of depth at center, Blair Betts’ rehabilitation from shoulder surgery could clear a spot for Powe on the roster. Betts told Comcast SportsNet on Tuesday he could be four months away from re-joining the team, which would put his return sometime in late November.
Fortunately for the Flyers, Powe and Betts’ role on the team are very similar. Both guys are checking forwards that play center and both guys play a gritty and pesky brand of hockey. Powe spent a good amount of time killing penalties for the Flyers last year and he’s instrumental to their success in doing that. One thing the former Princeton Tiger won’t do, however, is score very much. In 63 games last year he scored six goals and had nine assists.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 16
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)