Jul 21, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Being that news came pretty late regarding the NHL reportedly rejecting Ilya Kovalchuk’s contract, I imagine this might be the first some people have heard of it. To make things easier on you (scrolling way down the page? For the birds.), I decided to put a small “collection” of the posts together. Each link will have a little description, too.
Report: NHL rejects Kovalchuk’s contract: This is the “meat and potatoes” take on the subject.
So, what happens next?: Now that we’ve determined that the league won’t stand for that contract jive talk, what are the Devils/Kovalchuk/league reps to do? I consulted Twitter to find out the answer(s).
Does the NHL have a case? Could the Kings get back into the mix?: At first, I thought the answer to the first question was “Yes” but now that’s being disputed. This Kovalchuk scenario would go from weird to “A visual expression of Les Claypool’s dreams” if the Kings were able to get in the mix again.
Here are some bonus links for Kovalchuk background:
Finally, a detailed look at Kovalchuk’s wacky (and possibly voided) contract.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)