Jul 21, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
Just in case there were any worries about the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection being official, the league indeed made it so. Here is the official statement from NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, via NHL.com.
“The contract has been rejected by the League as a circumvention of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Under the CBA, the contract rejection triggers a number of possible next steps that may be elected by any or each of the NHLPA, the Player and/or the Club. In the interim, the player is not entitled to play under the contract, nor is he entitled to any of the rights and benefits that are provided for thereunder. The League will have no further comment on this matter pending further developments.”
That pretty much follows the “script” so to speak.
As I discussed last night, the next step will involve one of two steps (or at least a close variation of these two). Either the NHL Players Association will file a grievance on behalf of Ilya Kovalchuk or the New Jersey Devils will tweak the contract to spread the money out a bit more evenly (or at least shave a few years off of a deal that would supposedly have Kovalchuk play until he’s 44 years old).
Want more information on this subject? Click here.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 4
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)