Jul 21, 2010, 4:30 PM EST
Earlier today I shared the league’s official statement on the Ilya Kovalchuk contract rejection, so I thought I’d also give you the NHL Players Assocation’s release. Here it is, straight from NHLPA spokesperson Jonathan Weatherdon.
“The NHLPA is currently analyzing the basis upon which the NHL rejected the contract between the New Jersey Devils and Ilya Kovalchuk. We are evaluating the options available to us under the terms established in the CBA. The NHLPA will have no further comment at this time.”
The New Jersey Star-Ledger points out that Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman also went the “no comment” route.
As was discussed last night, the NHLPA and New Jersey Devils each have a few more days to decide which avenue they’d like to travel to get around this mess. The players association could file a grievance to get the contract passed through an arbitrator or the Devils could restructure the contract.
So far, though, both the NHL and the players association aren’t saying much about the proceedings.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 8
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 8
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 23
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)