Jul 21, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
In the last couple days, I tackled the NHL’s most “unbreakable” records as well as ones that are “off the beaten path.” To complete that leisurely triangle of numbers posts, I thought I’d look at some more attainable feats that could be accomplished during the 2010-11 season. Here is a look at some achievable milestones in the goals, assists and goalie stat categories.
(Hockey-reference.com was a huge help in putting this post together. Keep in mind these won’t always be full lists.)
Mark Recchi needs 15.
Three players are within striking distance: Daniel Alfredsson (8), Alex Kovalev (10) and Paul Kariya (11).
Jason Arnott needs 17, Alfredsson needs 25.
Dany Heatley needs 1, Joe Thornton needs 15.
Five players are within 10 goals of this milestone. In order of least goals needed: Pavel Datsyuk (2), Eric Staal (7), Brenden Morrow (7), Brad Richards (8) and Jason Blake (10).
Patrice Bergeron and Jay Pandolfo are within one. There are a lot of others who are just a few goals away.
Kariya needs 13, Kovalev needs 22.
Three players are within 10: Slava Kozlov (3), Marc Savard (9) and Arnott (10).
602 wins, 110 shutouts
Martin Brodeur will attempt to pad his all-time lead in wins and shutouts this season.
The active goalies with the next closest shutout totals are Roberto Luongo (51) and Chris Osgood (50).
1,100 games played
Martin Brodeur needs 24 to increase his all-time games played lead (1,076) over Patrick Roy (1,029).
Nikolai Khabibulin needs 4 GP to hit 700; Tomas Vokoun needs 25 to reach 600; J.S. Giguere needs 8 for 500.
Osgood needs 4.
Evgeni Nabokov finished his career seven wins short of this milestone.
Vokoun needs 2
Jose Theodore needs 1
Niklas Backstrom needs 1
So, overall, this could be a pretty big year of milestones for Mark Recchi, Chris Osgood, Pavel Datsyuk, Paul Kariya and Alex Kovalev. Numbers like these really put careers in perspective, particularly how peerless Martin Brodeur really has been – at least quantity wise.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 7
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)