Jul 21, 2010, 11:50 PM EDT
When it comes to the business side of sports, sometimes we’re privy to seeing millionaires and billionaires plead for millions of dollars from taxpayers so that they can make even more money. Enter the owner of the Edmonton Oilers Daryl Katz.
Katz is hoping that the people of Edmonton will help him out so he can build a new arena in downtown Edmonton to replace the aging Rexall Place (formerly Northlands Coliseum). The city would rather he renovate the arena. Hoo boy, here comes the conflict.
In a rare public appearance, Daryl Katz promised to sign a location agreement to keep the Oilers in Edmonton. But the team is not viable without a new arena, and the Oilers will not play at the arena now run by Northlands, said John Karvellas, executive vice-president and general counsel for the Katz Group.
“We do not intend to have the Oilers play in a renovated Rexall Place,” Karvellas said.
However, the Katz Group denied any implied threat to move the team when Coun. Tony Caterina directly asked if that was the case.
Katz repeated an earlier pledge to $100 million toward the construction of the arena and added another $100 million toward development of the surrounding area. That, along with the $200 million he spent buying the Oilers, brings his commitment to the project to $400 million. But he’s willing to hand the keys to the city, he said.
“If that’s what it takes to move this project forward, I will do that,” Katz said.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)