Jul 21, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
So far, we’ve shared the official statements from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly as well as the near-non-statements from the NHL Players Association and Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman. Since we went that far, let’s see what New Jersey Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello had to (barely) say. Here is his statement, via the Devils official Web site.
“We are extremely disappointed that the NHL has decided to reject the contract of Ilya Kovalchuk. The contract complies with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. We will have no further comment until the process outlined in the CBA is complete.”
When I read that, I picture Lamoriello saying this through a classic “feigned smile while gritting teeth.” He might even be crushing almonds in his hands in this imaginary vision.
Many wonder if this even would have happened had Lamoriello not made comments about the loopholes the team took advantage of. Some think it’s unfair that the Devils were singled out when other teams signed players to deals that logically won’t be completed while others think that the 17-year deal went a little too far. (Even for loophole deals.)
It will be interesting, if a bit nauseating, to see how this situation plays out in the next few days. As always, we’ll keep you up to date as the Kovalchuk saga drags along.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)