Jul 21, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
So far, we’ve shared the official statements from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly as well as the near-non-statements from the NHL Players Association and Ilya Kovalchuk’s agent Jay Grossman. Since we went that far, let’s see what New Jersey Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello had to (barely) say. Here is his statement, via the Devils official Web site.
“We are extremely disappointed that the NHL has decided to reject the contract of Ilya Kovalchuk. The contract complies with the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. We will have no further comment until the process outlined in the CBA is complete.”
When I read that, I picture Lamoriello saying this through a classic “feigned smile while gritting teeth.” He might even be crushing almonds in his hands in this imaginary vision.
Many wonder if this even would have happened had Lamoriello not made comments about the loopholes the team took advantage of. Some think it’s unfair that the Devils were singled out when other teams signed players to deals that logically won’t be completed while others think that the 17-year deal went a little too far. (Even for loophole deals.)
It will be interesting, if a bit nauseating, to see how this situation plays out in the next few days. As always, we’ll keep you up to date as the Kovalchuk saga drags along.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)