Jul 21, 2010, 3:40 PM EDT
We’ve seen a handful of signings designed to avoid salary arbitration the last few days and with good reason; the meetings can get downright ugly. Sometimes, nobody wins.
Take the case of Clarke MacArthur and the Atlanta Thrashers. Chris Vivamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Thrashers decided to walk away from the arbitrator’s decision of a $2.4 million reward for MacArthur, making the player an unrestricted free agent. Joe discussed the possibility that this would happen yesterday, but now it’s official.
Lyle “Spector” Richardson provides a little background information on the kind of player that MacArthur is … and the kind of player his team was hoping for.
Once considered among the Sabres promising young forwards, MacArthur hadn’t played up to expectations, as it was hoped he would blossom into a potential 25-30 goal scorer.
It remains to be seen if MacArthur will find another NHL team willing to pay him the equivalent of the arbiter’s award. The market this summer has been stagnant owing to the lack of quality depth plus the high number of teams lacking salary cap space.
Buffalo dealt MacArthur to Atlanta during the trade deadline. He produced 16 goals and 35 points between the Sabres and the Thrashers, with a -16 rating. At 27-years-old, the winger still could find his legs in the NHL. The question is: will anyone feel the need to take a chance on him? The Thrashers certainly didn’t think he was worth that kind of money.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)