Jul 20, 2010, 6:25 PM EDT
I bet you’re still recovering from World Cup fever and you’ve still got the din of the ever-present vuvuzelas ringing in your ears. I mean, why wouldn’t you? They interfered with TV broadcasts of games and I can’t even imagine what it was like to sit in a crowd of 70,000 and have the entire stadium buzzing, literally, with the sound of plastic horns. Thankfully for us hockey fans we’re above such things, I think, and the Atlanta Thrashers have even gone to the lengths to add the “traditional” South African noisemakers to their list of prohibited items at games. This comes from the “Fan Conduct” section of the Thrashers Fanzone Guide:
- Prohibited entry items such as containers, food & beverage, airhorns, vuvuzelas, weapons and laser pointers. Cameras, video cameras and audio recorders are prohibited when posted for certain events.
Lots of games seem to have some joker sneak in with an airhorn, but letting one of those off tends to get you noticed almost immediately. If someone were able to sneak a vuvuzela into a hockey game, I can’t imagine the size of the pants you’d have to wear to slip that past security going into a game. Even bell bottom jeans wouldn’t be able to handle the madness of a vuvuzela.
Just picture the possibilities if they were allowed… The shootout with vuvuzelas blowing while Chris Mason is trying to stop a guy from scoring the potential game-winning goal or if Evander Kane was getting another one-punch knockout on Matt Cooke. Sounds great, right? I didn’t think so.
(picture credit: Phil Cole/Getty Images)
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)