Jul 20, 2010, 11:31 AM EDT
So you’re wondering what the after effects of Simon Gagne’s trade to the Tampa Bay Lightning would be on the rest of the NHLs residents of the trading block would be. If you started looking towards Edmonton’s Sheldon Souray, as Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal did, you’d see that perhaps the Oilers will have to rein in their demands for the soon-to-be-at-some-point ex-Oiler defenseman.
There’s not a big market these days for Souray’s skill-set — big shot, big minutes, toughness — because he has two years left on his deal. His tough style of play, which has resulted in injuries, has also scared off a few teams.
The Oilers’ best bet is to move Souray to a team that is long way from the NHL required cap floor of $44 million. The Atlanta Thrashers have $36.2 million committed to 15 players. The New York Islanders have $36.5 million for 21 players. The Colorado Avalanche have $38 million for 20 players, and the St. Louis Blues are at $40 million for 20 players. But those teams might also want Tambellini to include a younger player in any deal.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 43
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 18
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Quick gloves a few Sharks
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3