Jul 20, 2010, 11:31 AM EST
So you’re wondering what the after effects of Simon Gagne’s trade to the Tampa Bay Lightning would be on the rest of the NHLs residents of the trading block would be. If you started looking towards Edmonton’s Sheldon Souray, as Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal did, you’d see that perhaps the Oilers will have to rein in their demands for the soon-to-be-at-some-point ex-Oiler defenseman.
There’s not a big market these days for Souray’s skill-set — big shot, big minutes, toughness — because he has two years left on his deal. His tough style of play, which has resulted in injuries, has also scared off a few teams.
The Oilers’ best bet is to move Souray to a team that is long way from the NHL required cap floor of $44 million. The Atlanta Thrashers have $36.2 million committed to 15 players. The New York Islanders have $36.5 million for 21 players. The Colorado Avalanche have $38 million for 20 players, and the St. Louis Blues are at $40 million for 20 players. But those teams might also want Tambellini to include a younger player in any deal.
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 16
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 47
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 54
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)