Jul 20, 2010, 11:31 AM EST
So you’re wondering what the after effects of Simon Gagne’s trade to the Tampa Bay Lightning would be on the rest of the NHLs residents of the trading block would be. If you started looking towards Edmonton’s Sheldon Souray, as Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal did, you’d see that perhaps the Oilers will have to rein in their demands for the soon-to-be-at-some-point ex-Oiler defenseman.
There’s not a big market these days for Souray’s skill-set — big shot, big minutes, toughness — because he has two years left on his deal. His tough style of play, which has resulted in injuries, has also scared off a few teams.
The Oilers’ best bet is to move Souray to a team that is long way from the NHL required cap floor of $44 million. The Atlanta Thrashers have $36.2 million committed to 15 players. The New York Islanders have $36.5 million for 21 players. The Colorado Avalanche have $38 million for 20 players, and the St. Louis Blues are at $40 million for 20 players. But those teams might also want Tambellini to include a younger player in any deal.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 18
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 6
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 34
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 41
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (167)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)