Jul 20, 2010, 4:17 PM EST
While the dirty south’s version of the Chicago Blackhawks, the Atlanta Thrashers, prepare for some of their arbitration cases with Clarke MacArthur, Ben Eager and Andrew Ladd, it turns out at least one of those guys might be having his case heard for no good reason at all. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tells us that Clarke MacArthur could be headed for free agency instead.
Thrashers forward Clarke MacArthur will likely become an unrestricted free agent in the next day or two. MacArthur filed for arbitration and his hearing is set for tomorrow. However, don’t be surprised if the Thrashers walk away from what will be an award of more than $2 million a season. I’m hearing they will most likely walk, making MacArthur an UFA.
MacArthur made $1.4 million last year with the Sabres and Thrashers and a raise isn’t out of the question for the forward, but having a team walk away from an arbitration award is a bit rare in itself, especially on a player that would be useful in MacArthur. With how the Thrashers will be set up next season, MacArthur was likely to slot in as a third line winger. $2 million for a third-liner is the kind of thing you see… Well, not in Atlanta. That said, Atlanta is currently well below the salary floor. Perhaps a couple million for a third-line guy won’t hurt too badly.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 3
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 52
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)